Tubeless Woes

I have a flat tubeless tyre which was certainly due a topup, the issue I have now is air leaking from around valve. I am only able to get pressure to about 2 PSI but presume my pump maybe the issue so tried with electric car pump with presta convertor still no good. Does anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong before I take to LBS. Thanks
So Far!

Comments

• Is the valve properly seated? They usually have a rubber bung at the base, if that isn’t seated properly, you’ll never get a decent seal.
  • If the valve isn't seated properly, remove it and wrap PTFE tape around the rubber sealing bung, that should!! cure it.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I’ve never managed to blow up a flat tubeless tyre using only a pump (some appear to have managed it). Always need to blast it up with no valve core using my tubeless inflator bottle. If you have to remove the tyre to reseat the valve as above you’ll still probably need an inflator.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021
    mully79 said:

I’ve never managed to blow up a flat tubeless tyre using only a pump (some appear to have managed it). Always need to blast it up with no valve core using my tubeless inflator bottle. If you have to remove the tyre to reseat the valve as above you’ll still probably need an inflator.

The trick is to get the wheel clear of the ground ( hanging from a work stand) or if you’re brave, in your lap. It’s actually easy to get the tyre seated, using a stock track pump, and some tyre levers then. It takes a couple of shakes, and pulls on the tyre, but it will pop into place, as long as it’s clear of the ground. If it does resist, use a CO2 blast from an inflator.

• Thanks all for your advice I think I will try the PTFE solution first.
    So Far!
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    edited September 2021

If I have managed to do it right! Here is a photo of my setup for tubeless inflation. Cheap and cheerful with stuff easily obtained, don't forget to lubricate the beads when doing it.
    Dam it , pic needs rotating and can't do it.
  • gomezz said:

If I have managed to do it right! Here is a photo of my setup for tubeless inflation. Cheap and cheerful with stuff easily obtained, don't forget to lubricate the beads when doing it.
    Dam it , pic needs rotating and can't do it.

That looks good to me.
  • Soapy water will reduce the friction between the tyre beads and the rim. This will allow lower pressure air to seat the bead.

As @gomezz says, use 2-3 wraps of ptfe (plumber's tape) around the rubber bung before inserting into the valve hole. I gently tap in with a hammer. But when you think about it, that gap around the valve must be so small that the sealant should fix it. So hold the wheel with the valve at the bottom to allow the sealant to flood the area. Always worth a try before splitting the tyre and removing the valve to fit the ptfe.

Once you have the tyre up and sealant poured in, swirl the sealant around the tyre and give it a good shake. Mostly that does the job, but sometime if the tyre is not "tubeless ready" then the sidewalls may be oozing air. In which case inflate to 40psi, give the tyre another shake and lay it down horizontally on a bucket, plant pot, between two chairs (whatever holds it horizontal). Leave for 30 mins, check the pressure, re-inflate if necessary and lay down on the other side. That should do the job. The high pressure is to assist in forcing the sealant into the pores in the sidewalls.
  • Update - Missed Friday Ride, Failed with PTFE attempt Saturday again missed ride - To busy since Saturday & Sunday to even look at again. Result lost weekend of riding with perfect weather.

Next action - Soapy Water, Try and Inflate, C02 Canister, more sealant and hopefully finish with Joe Blow.

If I fail then will either be spare inner tube I carry or LBS.

So Far!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    This might not be the right thing to say, but I would have put a tube in already rather than miss a weekend of riding..
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    If you are still having a problem of air leaking around the valve, it is quite likely that the air is leaking past the rim tape and spoke holes into the rim cavity and out around the valve.
  • Put the wheel and tyre into a bowl of water. I use a water butt, but a washing up bowl works too. A leak via the valve or past the rim tape will easily be seen. If you look carefully around the rim that is between the spokes, you should find a small hole. That is where the air will leak from if it is getting past the rim tape.

To find air holes in the tyre walls, paint the tyre wall with soapy water. Air holes will be witnessed by hundreds, possibly thousands, of erupting foam volcanoes.
  • Update - I lost tried almost everything but used C02 canister instead of Boost Pump.

So in total spent about £54 (Excluding Time) - Stan Race Sealant, C02 Inflator, spare canisters and some new tyre levers - Worst of all missed all the good days riding with the excellent weather we have just recently had.

Wheel now with local LBS at a cost of £15 collect in few hours, going forward I will stick with paying LBS as I just don't have the time to waste. Thank you all for your help really appreciated.
    So Far!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    ...or stick in some inner tubes. Funny how we never have posts about inner tubes ;)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2021

...or stick in some inner tubes. Funny how we never have posts about inner tubes ;)

Lol, 😆 I've got a slow puncture on my front innertube and losing about 15psi a week, should I just patch it now or throw in a new one and do the repair at my leisure? 🤔
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

Lol, 😆 I've got a slow puncture on my front innertube and losing about 15psi a week, should I just patch it now or throw in a new one and do the repair at my leisure? 🤔
    Hang on! This reply alone needs its own post running to 15 pages of how to fix a patch to an inner tube, what glue to use, how long to let it go tacky, best sand paper to roughen it up, colour of chalk to dust over the top to stop it sticking to the tyre, whether or not SRAM caused the puncture in the first place, how it's so uncool to use tubes, how much better tubeless is, why can't I mount my tubeless tyre, why won't it inflate, oh tubeless woes.....

Oh, hang on! We've gone full circle :D ......

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• ...or stick in some inner tubes. Funny how we never have posts about inner tubes ;)

I only have tube for when out and about to get me home, I am sticking with Tubeless this is the first issue I have had in 5 years and If I had left to my LBS would of been resolved in 60 minutes.

So Far!
  • singleton said:

This might not be the right thing to say, but I would have put a tube in already rather than miss a weekend of riding..

Totally agree but when I initially started to try and resolve issue did not think it would take so long but at least next time I won't waste my time. Lesson Learned for me.

So Far!
  • I am going to convert to the darkside eventually. I feel like an outcast for still running tubes these days.

Just taking the chance to be smug about not having to face a whole new set of issues I don't know anything about, for now anyway. 😬
  • Reaper to be truthful I think the issue was more me, I just collected the wheel and they had to change rim tape apparently not the correct one (Spec Concept Birmingham fitted when purchased bike). Just glad Issue now resolved and I will be riding tomorrow.
    So Far!
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2021
    Glad you got it sorted, seemed a tricky one to deal with and it goes that way sometimes.

I'll be asking for tubeless advice at some point too, no doubt.

Enjoy your ride and making up for the lost time Pal. 🌞😎🤟
  • Going tubeless is harder than an expert makes it look, but much easier than a beginner makes it look.
    The difference between a beginner and an expert is about three tyres and the purchase of a tubeless tyre inflator.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    loltoride said:

Reaper to be truthful I think the issue was more me, I just collected the wheel and they had to change rim tape apparently not the correct one (Spec Concept Birmingham fitted when purchased bike). Just glad Issue now resolved and I will be riding tomorrow.

So air was leaking around the rim tape. I am surprised nobody suggested that. :)