Shimano 600 upgrade to 105

Hi I have a 70s bike with Shimano 600 friction rear derailleur. Can I replace it with Shimano 105?

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    No. Unless you change everything else. Shimano 600 was 5 speed. The first gen 105 was 6 speed back in 1983. It’s now 11 speed.
  • You would also need new wheels, and the dropout spacing on the frame will also be wrong. If it is steel frame you might be able to get away with it, but the chain line would be odd and it really isn't recommended. In any case, overall you'll spend less buying a complete bike.

Not sure how experienced you are, but if you know what size of bike you need there are some bargains to be had second hand on the likes of Gumtree, eBay or here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    svouts said:

Hi I have a 70s bike with Shimano 600 friction rear derailleur. Can I replace it with Shimano 105?

If you are talking about replacing the old 600 rear mech with a newer 105 version, and still using friction shifting, then yes, you can do that.

In terms of a whole groupset upgrade, then see above.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I agree with imposter, the derailleur moves according to the shifter so as it's a friction shifter it should be fine. Just check a 5 speed chain will fit between the cage plates as an 11 speed chain is thinner. You might have to replace the chain.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    If you are looking for parts for old bikes, I would recommend checking out sjscycles. I used them a lot for a similar project recently, upgrading on old 7 speed steel bike to 9 speed.

I had to increase the rear dropout to fit a modern 11 speed compatible wheel, but as long as you have the tools to measure the alignment and how straight the rear derailleur is, it is all doable at home.

As already said, it would of been cheaper to buy a newer second hand bike off eBay, but I learnt a lot doing the project.
  • No. Unless you change everything else. Shimano 600 was 5 speed. The first gen 105 was 6 speed back in 1983. It’s now 11 speed.

I have spaced the rear dropouts to 130. Added, new wheelset with 8 speed cassette, Shimano downtube 8 speed indexed shifters (the rear is indexed, the front is friction). The only question is if I can replace the rear mechanism with the 105 with the 8 speed indexed shifter and the 8 speed cassette?
  • You would also need new wheels, and the dropout spacing on the frame will also be wrong. If it is steel frame you might be able to get away with it, but the chain line would be odd and it really isn't recommended. In any case, overall you'll spend less buying a complete bike.

Not sure how experienced you are, but if you know what size of bike you need there are some bargains to be had second hand on the likes of Gumtree, eBay or here.

I have done it.
    I have spaced the rear dropouts to 130. Added, new wheelset with 8 speed cassette, Shimano downtube 8 speed indexed shifters (the rear is indexed, the front is friction). The only question is if I can replace the rear 600 friction mechanism with the 105 with the 8 speed indexed shifter and the 8 speed cassette?
  • I don't see why not. FWIW I once took a 7-speed friction shifting (i.e. indexing that never worked) setup to a 9 speed STI, together with increasing the dropout spacing. Steel frame that I wish I still owned - worked fine.