Winter thermal jacket

Looking for a warm winter jacket, something fleece lined.

DHB seem to do a few options. Anyone have any experience of the Classic thermal?

Have also seen a DHB blok fleece lined.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Budget?
  • In my experience this is one piece of equipment where it is really worth spending money on. Breathability of a winter jacket is even more important than on any summer kit, you will always produce moisture and if this can't be dispersed you will find yourself in damp cold clothing towards the end of the ride when your energy levels are dropping and your body will struggle to generate enough heat to keep you warm. A good winter jacket will be highly windproof while offering good breathability and insulation. It should also be reasonably waterproof so that you won't need an outer shell unless you get caught in a real downpour.

I have no experience of the DHB products in particular, I have a Gore jacket which is excellent, it is about 7 years old now so I don't know how it relates to their current offerings, but it remains in great condition despite me using it for winter gravel rides as well as road riding in cold & damp weather.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Tbh, i've never needed a winter specific jacket.

I've found that a winter thermal jersey with my normal rain jersey over the top has been warm enough for me. At a pinch, i'd add a base layer, got a couple of cheap enduro merino ones that are great.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    Personally, I don't really wear my thermal fleece lined jackets much and prefer to use a shell jacket + different thickness base-layers. I use a Gore Windstopper active shell jacket. It's about 100grams, packable, totally windproof, highly breathable and holds off quite a lot of rain. Despite being thin, it's also very warm (usually coupled with just a base-layer), but you can barely feel you're wearing it.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465

Budget?

Up to a £100
  • roscoe
    Couple of comments here in favour of Gore jackets.

Usually plenty of their windstoppers on Ebay so that could be an option with a decent base layer
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    roscoe said:

Couple of comments here in favour of Gore jackets.

Usually plenty of their windstoppers on Ebay so that could be an option with a decent base layer

Many cycle clothing manufacturers use Gore fabrics in their jackets, so you don't need to just search for "Gore bikewear" jackets. Windstopper can be thin (Active shell) or thicker (Windstopper softshell) fabric, which can also be fleece lined -which is more what you might be after. Basically, a lot of choice!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    roscoe said:

Budget?

Up to a £100
    I bought a couple of Agu winter jackets in the Planet X sale a couple of years ago for less than £100 for both. Neither of them are fleece lined (not sure why that's important) but between the two of them, and with a base layer underneath, they are good for anything from 8deg down to 1deg. Any colder than that and I'll stay in.
  • I use a North Wave fleece. Unless it’s arctic out there, it’s absolutely fine.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    My favourite cold weather gear is my 2nd hand Gore Phantom Windstopper zip-off jacket. I've never unzipped the arms and as it is 2 sizes too big for me I only wear it commuting, but it really is a remarkable jacket. Even at -2degrees I've only worn it with a thin HellyHansen Lifa baselayer.

I must buy one that fits me properly but RRP is £170 :'(

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• roscoe
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. The hunt is on for a windproof
  • I feel the cold, so this sort of thing is important to me. I bought a dhb full protection soft-shell about three years ago and found it the equal of a similar jacket I have by Castelli, but for less money. Warm and windproof, with a water repelling coating that makes it showerproof (the coating seems to become less effective over time). They aren't available any more, but this jacket seems to the updated equivalent:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-deep-winter-softshell
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I use the DHB blok softshell over winter.
    Keeps me nice and warm as it's windproof and fluffy inside.

The only downside is that it's not waterproof or resistant.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    edited September 2021
    I have a few options I use.

I have an Castelli Espresso 3 jacket for when it's really cold, but usually I go for a Castelli Alpha jersey (£80 sale bargain when evans used to be decent and not owned by ashley) and a more recent (July 2020) Perfetto from Sigma for £120 which is marginally better than the Alpha, but not for any obvious reason that I can tell, think it might be a slightly better windblocker, but breathes really well - oh and it's also the high viz bright yellow one, as opposed to the more muted colours that the original Alpha jersey came in.

Base layers can make a BIG difference, I have light thin ones, right up to sensationally warm merino wool ones, with a roll neck thingy going on (Incorporated buff I guess) so I can also pretend I am the milk tray man.

Cap, or warm hat under the helmet is also a boon.

Merlin and Sigma quite often have some good deals, worth a look, plus sigma have free returns.

I'd start ordering as soon as you can, as it's getting to the time of year when any reductions will have vanished for winter kit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Can recommend this. It's my goto winter jacket and I've ridden in -4 snowy conditions with just a long sleeve baselayer underneath. Won't break the bank either.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc500-winter-softshell-cycling-jacket/_/R-p-304796?mc=8523359&c=BLACK
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    https://www.galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-v-weather-jacket/

New Mistral jacket from Gaibier. Code mistral5first50 gets 11 quid off for first 50 orders.
  • daniel_b
    mrb123 said:

https://www.galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-v-weather-jacket/

New Mistral jacket from Gaibier. Code mistral5first50 gets 11 quid off for first 50 orders.

That's a good shout - I tried a previous Mistral, and unfortunately found the collar a bit too stiff and uppy under my throat, so had to send it back.
    Probably a peculiarity of my shape, but otherwise it seemed awesome, and it may be as this is a new release they have tweaked things since.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • It’s a total budget buster, but I did buy a Castelli thermo suit last winter. It really is very toasty, even when it’s so cold that staying in is a better option, but it ain’t cheap.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Winter thermals is a bit of an issue if you ride hard or for a long way. I will sweat. Nothing breathes enough or at the rate to keep me dry. If I sweat I will not remain dry. I’m not sure how anyone could. By definition of the garment is breathing your sweat is making it wet on the inside which is transferring to the outside. Unless you stop sweating it will be a constantly repeating cycle. You will be wet. If you don’t sweat then great.

So with that in mind I’ve always found fleecy lined materials to just encourage sweat. I go with a thermal base layer (not fleeced) then a summer jersey and then a gilet if I need it. Arm warmers over the base layer arms if its that cold. I accept I am going to be damp with sweat so the key is to keep moving, or find a warm, dry cafe!

Whilst damp, the key is to prevent the windchill, so I go for a windproof front on a gilet. Once again, as long as I keep riding I’m fine even if damp through. The same goes for riding in rain. Nothing known to man (goretex and all) stops you from getting wet - you will either be wet from sweat or wet from the rain. Goretex works brilliant as a rain jacket if you aren’t exercising and causing sweat - I wore one in the army when bashered up in woods/ trenches and they kept me dry. But as soon as I started moving about vigorously…wet through with sweat.

The beauty of layering like I do is you can (within reason) remove a layer if you need to. If you buy a heavy fleece lined jacket and start getting hot on a ride, well, you’re pretty stuffed.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    I've got loads of winter thermal jersey / jackets from years of commuting.

Best are the Castelli Alpha jersey & jacket - they scream quality and the jersey in particular has a very wide range of temperatures you can use it in (I've used mine from 0 to 15 degrees with different base layers). You might struggle to find in budget at the moment.

However my DHB Aeron Softshell (i.e. your original choice) is up there. Thick fleecy fabric, windproof, enough DWR to bead off mid ride showers, great fit and well thought-out vents. Biggest drawback for me is that it's very very warm - so great for long rides in the coldest days but not if you want to hammer along for an hour or two on a milder day. But everyone has different hot/cold thresholds, and I'm a 'run hot' person so only you can judge if you need the super warm option.

You can get the latest version of the one I have for £90 at the moment (Aeron Deep Winter) and it would be a great choice if you're a 'run cold' type.
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    Ncovidius said:

It’s a total budget buster, but I did buy a Castelli thermo suit last winter. It really is very toasty, even when it’s so cold that staying in is a better option, but it ain’t cheap.

Think I managed to nab one once for £120 when Castelli Cafe still existed, but used their loyalty vouchers, or whatever they called them, to get it for about £50.
    VERY warm as you say.

Re nothing being able to keep you dry properly, I would argue that the Gore shakedry fabric is 99% (Top half anyway) of the way there, in my experience anyway.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Ncovidius said:

Re nothing being able to keep you dry properly, I would argue that the Gore shakedry fabric is 99% (Top half anyway) of the way there, in my experience anyway.

Agreed. I bought a Castelli Idro a few years ago. It's still the most expensive piece of cycling clothing I own. I don't wear it all that often, but when I do I always congratulate myself on my decision to buy it. The only water that gets through is what runs down my neck, which even in heavy rain isn't that much. Also great under a long sleeve jersey as a windproof layer, on cool but dry days.
  • I think it's also worth thinking about the other items of clothing in your wardrobe. Of you already have a good range of 3 season stuff then getting a heavier winter jacket makes sense but otherwise something like the Alpha jersey with some good base layers is a very versatile set up, especially with something like the endura thermal gilet on top. I have the alpha jacket and jersey, as I commute (or did) 10 miles each way each day I wanted the right kit and they both fantastic. As mentioned above the jersey has a huge range of temperatures and with a good base layer I can wear it right down to a few degrees above freezing. The alpha jacket is just a beast, I've never been cold in it which is exactly what i wanted for no brain commuting decisions.

They both seem to vent incredibly well for me which is what makes them very flexible.