The Tour de Yorkshire won't be going past anybody's door 2022 thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746
    Reading between the lines (it isn't difficult) of the BBC report the issue has more to do with money being siphoned off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-58402911
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Hmmm, I suspect this is a consequence of being so inward focussed for so long...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited August 2021
    A shame really. The Scarborough finish had become slightly iconic. The crowds were some of the best in the sport.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sadly, it looks like 3 strikes and you are out.
    The highs and lows of the British road racing scene encapsulated in half a decade.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TBH I'm not surprised councils refused to stump up an extra £100k as security, on top of the £100k they were paying already. Local councils have been under massive financial pressure for over a decade now, and would have to balance that budget with front line services. If that increase was seen as the product of WTY's dodgy accounting previously then it's even harder to argue for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579

Sadly, it looks like 3 strikes and you are out.
    The highs and lows of the British road racing scene encapsulated in half a decade.

And Ride London dead in the water too - looks like the 2012 effect has died off very quickly.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • This is disappointing, but hopefully it means the Tour of Britain can return to Yorkshire again.

There was seemingly an embargo on TOB going to Yorkshire while the TdY was on
  • This is disappointing, but hopefully it means the Tour of Britain can return to Yorkshire again.

Don't think any councils were prepared to pay for the ToB as well as TdY, plus there may be a limit to how often you can rile the locals up with road closures... 😉
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036

TBH I'm not surprised councils refused to stump up an extra £100k as security, on top of the £100k they were paying already. Local councils have been under massive financial pressure for over a decade now, and would have to balance that budget with front line services. bloated public sector pensions

FIFY

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    A Brit doesn't win the TdF for a couple of years and suddenly we don't support cycling anymore.

You only sing when your winning, sing when your winning...

;)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579

This is disappointing, but hopefully it means the Tour of Britain can return to Yorkshire again.

Don't think any councils were prepared to pay for the ToB as well as TdY, plus there may be a limit to how often you can rile the locals up with road closures... 😉
    The locals in this country are riled really easily it would seem.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Really disappointed. This is a race I went to see pretty much every year.

Went through the village my wife grew up in and the whole village made a whole festival day of it. Big screen, dressed up the whole street, the local primary put up all the decorations the kids made that week.

It was a great day. Really memorable.
  • Living in York it was nearly always practical to cycle out somewhere to see it (not featuring vikings, steam engines or themed-Harry Potter shops, and apparently preferring to capture the elusive drunken stag- and hen-do market, York council didn't see the value of backing it so it never passed through except for the first year).

Huge party atmosphere if you went out to any half-reasonable climb (cheering kids riding it, booing adults for overtaking them etc) and at least 50% of them not regular cycling fans. If you can't make it work with that kind of audience then I doubt you can make it work anywhere on that kind of scale - national races like the ToB are able to spread the investment over a wider area, rather than the same councils picking up the funding tab each time.
  • The website, copyright and rights to the Tour de Yorkshire have been bought after Welcome to Yorkshire went into administration.

The new owners say they are "talking to stakeholders" about bringing back the Tour de Yorkshire and asking people to apply to volunteer as Tour Makers again
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    davidof said:

TBH I'm not surprised councils refused to stump up an extra £100k as security, on top of the £100k they were paying already. Local councils have been under massive financial pressure for over a decade now, and would have to balance that budget with front line services. bloated public sector pensions

FIFY

OT but maybe in the past that was true…my wife is a teacher and had her pension age moved to 67 a few years ago now. My private sector pension is far better.

Local councils are mainly under pressure due to government funding cuts.