Ageing Woes

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    edited August 2021
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

53 so not sure if I qualify for the thread. I don't really notice having aged - well having to wear glasses to see rather than look cool on the bike - but apart from that. Of course they are there but it's such a gradual change it's hard to think if I was faster, responded better to training, recovered better etc 20 years ago.

I do suffer with a bad lower back /sciatica and slight tinnitus but I put them down to injury rather than age. I suppose accumulated injuries are part of aging though unless you are very lucky.

Appearance wise I look at photos of me at 18 and I realise that is really a different person and it doesn't really bother me I look much older - if I look at photos of me 15-20 years ago though and see the aging process I still consider myself in that phase of my life - having kids etc - so the aging since then does make me think a bit more.

Fortunately I don’t need glasses to read 🤓 I could do with longer arms though.
    I've got a massive imbalance in my eyesight. I wore glasses as a kid but they eventually concluded my good eye would keep doing all the work so they were pointless. However, I've noticed recently that the vision in my good eye is becoming blurred increasingly often which is actually becoming a bit of a concern for me. With my right eye I could just about read part of the third line down on the chart but my vision has been fine in normal situations as the left eye could read the entire chart so if that eye really starts to fade I'm going to have quite severe eyesight problems.
    I just downloaded a chart and even though I was a bit closer than I should have been the only line I was confident I got right was the top one (and even that was a bit of a guess from a fairly easy fuzzy outline of an 'E'. Left eye can still do the bottom line though.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited August 2021
    You get old, you get shite, if you don’t like it, take up fishing, and / or knitting, or knitting whilst fishing.
  • Ncovidius
    MattFalle said:

What would have been a partial one day hangover is a minmum 2 dayer....

I went ‘out out’ over last weekend ( Thursday - Sunday night ). I didn’t spare the horses. I was absolutely effed until this Wednesday really. It used to be all over by Monday afternoon.

• Ncovidius
    pangolin said:

seanoconn said:

I'm mid 30s now. I am definitely more grumpy and have far less patience for the general public. Feel more acutely aware of other people's selfish actions and the 'Yoof of today'.... I hate that I feel like that as there's never a truer saying than 'Remember, you were young once'

I don't know if it's just a general frustration because of the past 18 months, but everyone seems angry/passive aggressive and it's hard not to get sucked into that sometimes. It's started to get me down whenever I'm out on my bike and there's been a definite increase in aggressive drivers and everyones need to get where they're going in the quickest time possible.

Apperance wise... I started going grey in my late 20s and progressively I definitely have more 'salt' - perhaps stress related, who knows? In most photos I just look knackered and lots of crinkles around my eyes. Find it tougher to shift stubborn fat around my waistline and over the last year, I've felt less inclined to try and focus on shifting weight for cycling performance benefits. There's a correlation there with the state of the roads/drivers and having no motivation to venture out because of it.

Mid 30’s! You poor sausage. Almost a millennial. Get out 👉🏻
    The oldest millennials are now 40
    Hence a great reason to ignore meeja driven, invented labels.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ncovidius said:

You get old, you get shite, if you don’t like it, take up fishing, and / or knitting, or knitting whilst fishing.

Or do your paper rides eh muncher.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    edited August 2021
    Ncovidius said:

There is some hope though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0lbT4393rc
    His son who is a personal trainer and nutritionist helped with the transformation.

Nobody mentioned having to visit the toilet more frequently to drain the spuds?
  • Ncovidius
    katani said:

Ncovidius said:

There is some hope though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0lbT4393rc
    His son who is a personal trainer and nutritionist helped with the transformation.

Nobody mentioned having to visit the toilet more frequently to drain the spuds?
    Yep, I’m entirely convinced there are no pharmaceuticals involved there at all.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Well, this thread is depressing.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Just packed.

i can't be bothered carrying all thisshit for days on end anymore.

i be broken.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I'm 62.

Like others have noticed, injuries are taking longer to heal, and I sometimes find massive bruises where I don't recall any trauma at all, odd. Cuts on shins can be there for months!

I'm a bit slower than i used to be on the bike, but I didn't start riding (again) until about 2012. The one thing I have noticed is a sort of reluctance to push myself too hard, I don't know if it's sub-conscious, but I rarely get to the panting stages i used to put myself through a few years ago, so I'm inevitably slower.

I was quite pleased the other day though, I didn't have a lot of time so went out for a very short ride around a 'circuit' and found that I was a little quicker around it than when I was 55 (the last time and only other time I did that loop).

I have good days and not so good days, sometimes things hurt, sometimes they don't, I but feel quite fit, and know that I am a LOT fitter than others I know of my age.

If ever I hear a creak when I'm out riding, I'm always relieved to I find out it's the bike.

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    elbowloh said:

You are still in the denial stage.
    You need to get to acceptance to deal with it. 😉

PS - Shins (due to a pedal) were my first indication of healing regression. Months as said.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474
    oxoman said:

Another sign of aging is the acceptance of the need to wear shin and knee pads for mountain biking.

I must have been old for a while then Oxo. I also wore Elbow pads for yesterday's ride.

Main thing I notice these days is how stiff my legs get after a decent ride or run. Only temporary though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I did a long walk yesterday - well 3 hours not an all day hike - woke up my legs were stiff - after a bloody walk !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    oxoman said:

Another sign of aging is the acceptance of the need to wear shin and knee pads for mountain biking.

A sign of ageing is deciding that mountain biking isn't worth the risk.
  • I did a long walk yesterday - well 3 hours not an all day hike - woke up my legs were stiff - after a bloody walk !

Imagine walking ~4.5 hours a shift delivering mail at 47 and trying to ride 7 hours a week too. ;)

It's getting increasingly challenging, I'm ~18 hours behind schedule so far this year. :(
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Months as said.
    Ask elbow how long it took his knee to heal after falling down Box Hill!??
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    Depends. I snapped my Achilles 4 years ago. My left calf still does not match my right.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    You old cunch of bunts 😂
  • I'll be 58 soon. Not sure I can agree with much of what's been said here. I still heal really quickly, even broken bones - about half the time suggested by my doctor. Get about one cold every 5 years. Still got all my hair, it's still the same colour it was when I was 10. Average speed on the bike hasn't dropped, though that might be because it was never very high to start with. I think I probably do look my age, but on the whole, don't feel it. Can't complain, really.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

I must have been old for a while then Oxo. I also wore Elbow pads for yesterday's ride.

Main thing I notice these days is how stiff my legs get after a decent ride or run. Only temporary though.
    So's life...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    So basically, expect stiffness everywhere except where you need it...
  • elbowloh
    seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Months as said.
    That's infection, not age...

...and by the way, it's still not healed properly.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Months as said.

I've got the same with an elbow. Fell on a run last year and cut it, cleaned it up when I got home but a week or so later it was obviously infected. Had a video call with the doctor and got prescribed antibiotics. They cleared it up but ever since the skin has never fully healed and is quite sensitive, I suspect there may still be some grit in there.

A few years ago I had a suspect mile removed on my back. It was all clear and healed nicely, a bit too quickly if anything which made it hard to get the stitches out. The wound reopened after a few days and I spent 9 months back and forth every week or so to see the nurse who tried all sorts of dressings. After 9 months they took a swab and discovered I had MRSA. Healed nicely after antibiotics but I now have a messy scar instead of the neat line it should have been.
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Months as said.

I've got the same with an elbow. Fell on a run last year and cut it, cleaned it up when I got home but a week or so later it was obviously infected. Had a video call with the doctor and got prescribed antibiotics. They cleared it up but ever since the skin has never fully healed and is quite sensitive, I suspect there may still be some grit in there.

A few years ago I had a suspect mile removed on my back. It was all clear and healed nicely, a bit too quickly if anything which made it hard to get the stitches out. The wound reopened after a few days and I spent 9 months back and forth every week or so to see the nurse who tried all sorts of dressings. After 9 months they took a swab and discovered I had MRSA. Healed nicely after antibiotics but I now have a messy scar instead of the neat line it should have been.
    I've had 4 courses if antibiotics since December and it's still sensitive. If I give it the slightest knock it blisters and opens up again. Docs haven't taken a swab, but should have clearly
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Months as said.

I've had 4 courses if antibiotics since December and it's still sensitive. If I give it the slightest knock it blisters and opens up again. Docs haven't taken a swab, but should have clearly
    Sounds familiar, keep meaning to try to get a face to face appointment to have it looked at.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Months as said.

Have you tried bathing or showering, with soap?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    oxoman said:

Your hoping, that's why A&E are always rammed because surgeries aren't open. OOPS sorry forgot the unless you pay for it. service. All my local quacks are locked down pretty much unless going for a paid for company medical.

GPs really are the people most guilty of hiding behind their sofas during this.
    Nurses are despising them for it.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited August 2021
    pblakeney said:

oxoman said:

Your hoping, that's why A&E are always rammed because surgeries aren't open. OOPS sorry forgot the unless you pay for it. service. All my local quacks are locked down pretty much unless going for a paid for company medical.

GPs really are the people most guilty of hiding behind their sofas during this.
    Nurses are despising them for it.
    A lot of GPs are working mothers doing part time hours from home and living the perfect work life balance.

All power to them on a personal level but the health service needs to find a mechanism to address this as the service is no longer fit for purpose.

Right now, I would take a several hour wait at a walk in GP service if I knew I could be seen rather than the several security layers of appointment avoidance in place. In July, it took me 5 days of trying to get a GP call scheduled.
    The call never came.
    After complaining, I did get a prompt call but just referred to A&E which was totally disproportionate.

Ideally I need some follow up but don’t know how to address the situation successfully.
  • Pross
    oxoman said:

That's why I haven't bothered yet. My experience with GPs in recent years hasn't been positive (several months wait to get a referral for my daughter who was diagnosed with a suspected brain tumour with 5 minutes of finally get seen by a consultant and operated on 3 days later). That said, I was impressed with the remote service I received but don't think it will help with the ongoing issue
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

I'll be 58 soon. Not sure I can agree with much of what's been said here. I still heal really quickly, even broken bones - about half the time suggested by my doctor. Get about one cold every 5 years. Still got all my hair, it's still the same colour it was when I was 10. Average speed on the bike hasn't dropped, though that might be because it was never very high to start with. I think I probably do look my age, but on the whole, don't feel it. Can't complain, really.

At 58 you are not old! I am old enough to be your bl00dy DAD!
    Who needs hair anyway, of any colour?
    You are only really old when you freewheel down hills rather than fly down in biggest gear, pedalling like ***k.