Marin Presidio 3 - fitting mud guards, pannier rack on the front, Hamax and Follow-Me on the back.

Hi all - I want to change my one-child carrying Marin Presidio 3 commuter into a two-child carrying, all season super commuter tank (with front low rider panniers).

On the front:
I've spent an age researching mud guards and front pannier racks and ended up buying these:

Then I noticed that the bolt hole fitting at the front hub is recessed behind the outside edge of the fork (and the disc brake mount on the left side):

Any ideas if the mudguard and the rack will fit this arrangement? I'm hoping some sort of spacer will do it.... but not sure and, even if it does, will either the rack or the guard come with the spacer and longer bolt I'll need?

On the back:
I've got a Hamax child seat already installed for youngest child but am looking to also install a Follow-Me for the middle child to cycle behind on way to nursery drop-off. Does anyone know if these are compatible? I know I need an adapter to install the Follow-Me on the internal rear hub but I've no idea if the Follow-Me would clash with the Hamax.

And last thing, would the rear mud guard I've bought above fit with the Hamax and Follow-Me installed? Want to avoid covering the following child in mud before nursery! If it won't fit, any suggestions what might do the job?

Lots to chew on, all advice appreciated.
Rob

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    edited August 2021
    Hi Rob, that's a weird design with the recessed mounting points - bizarre.

You could get away with it on mudguard stays, as they are pretty bendable, but clearly not with a rack. You have no option but to use spacers, the less the better, and you'll just need to get longer bolts - if the hole goes all the way through, I would be inclined to put a threadlock bolt on the other side for extra insurance.

Chapeau for going for the Follow me tandem, it's the best towing system out there by a country mile.

I just sold one for £170 I think it was, having owned it for some 4 years, so if you look after it you'll see most of your money back.

Looking at your hamax setup, I can't see any reason why the FM tandem would clash in anyway with a mudguard or the seat - there is an adjustable length strap with a caribiner (?) clip that I used to secure onto my bikes rack, for when you are not towing, but I think they mention utilising the seatpost - so I dare say you could fashion some kind of loop that the caribiner could clip onto.

I had mine fitted on a fully mudguarded boardman hybrid, and just pulled the FM up as far as the mudguard but no further, iirc it has a small 'mudguard' built in.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Hi all - I want to change my one-child carrying Marin Presidio 3 commuter into a two-child carrying, all season super commuter tank (with front low rider panniers).

On the front:
    I've spent an age researching mud guards and front pannier racks and ended up buying these:

Then I noticed that the bolt hole fitting at the front hub is recessed behind the outside edge of the fork (and the disc brake mount on the left side):

Any ideas if the mudguard and the rack will fit this arrangement? I'm hoping some sort of spacer will do it.... but not sure and, even if it does, will either the rack or the guard come with the spacer and longer bolt I'll need?

On the back:
    I've got a Hamax child seat already installed for youngest child but am looking to also install a Follow-Me for the middle child to cycle behind on way to nursery drop-off. Does anyone know if these are compatible? I know I need an adapter to install the Follow-Me on the internal rear hub but I've no idea if the Follow-Me would clash with the Hamax.

And last thing, would the rear mud guard I've bought above fit with the Hamax and Follow-Me installed? Want to avoid covering the following child in mud before nursery! If it won't fit, any suggestions what might do the job?

Lots to chew on, all advice appreciated.
    Rob

Hey Rob,

Sorry to necro the thread. How did you get on? I have the same bike and want mudguards.

ta,
    jamie