La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 9: Puerto Lumbreras > Alto de Velefique - 188kms **Spoilers**

2»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Pross said:

Superb solo victory for Caruso, not sure how long he was solo but was out front when I first turned on halfway up the long climb. Mas does a great job of leading out Roglic to second. Haig leads in the group of Yates and Lopez with Bernal shedding probably a minute or so.

70 k
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Poor Landa. He'd struggle to win a one-up sprint
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Ineos miss Nico Portal hugely, in lots of ways
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Not sure there was much wrong with the tactics, the riders just didn't have the form to make them work. I thought Yates had Roglic on the ropes briefly until Movistar helped him out.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Pross said:

Not sure there was much wrong with the tactics, the riders just didn't have the form to make them work. I thought Yates had Roglic on the ropes briefly until Movistar helped him out.

What Yates first gapped them all, was he then called back for Bernal? If so, that was a mistake I think.

It also seems Ineos haven't nailed their prep right again.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Pross said:

What Yates first gapped them all, was he then called back for Bernal? If so, that was a mistake I think.

I don't think it's prep. They just aren't as good as the others. Their only top top riders are Ganna and Pidcock.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Are we now agreed that Landa isn’t a genuine GC contender and should focus elsewhere now.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Other than Rog possibly fading in the final week(s) I don't think Ineos have any answer to Rog and Pog. The riders they've got aren't good enough.

Just my opinion of course.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

I don't think it's prep. They just aren't as good as the others. Their only top top riders are Ganna and Pidcock.
    Bernal won the Giro just over 2 months ago.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    andyp said:

gsk82 said:

Pross said:

They've got the winners of 4 out of the last 8 grand tours, but that still doesn't mean they've got a top top rider in the GC.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    edited August 2021
    andyp said:

gsk82 said:

Pross said:

I minor detail I know but what happened to Roglic at the Giro? Would Bernal have won?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    The reality is that there are currently two GC riders in a different league to all the rest.

Ineos have the next best and possibly 5 of the next best 10.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    mrb123 said:

The reality is that there are currently two GC riders in a different league to all the rest.

True dat.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Bit sad watching my left field breakaway ptp pick Bardet on the final climb drop his chain then drop 5 1/2 minutes in the last 6km. Close, but I don't smoke anyway. Fuerza.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    mrb123 said:

Carapaz was quicker around last year's Vuelta than Roglic, who only won due to the shortened race and the bonus seconds he won with his 150m sprints.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    gweeds said:

Are we now agreed that Landa isn’t a genuine GC contender and should focus elsewhere now.

His chance was when he was leading Aru around the Giro, since then he hasn't fared well. Just better riders and worse luck
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Roglic was pretty impressive bridging the gap. Demoralising for the rest I imagine.
    Jak Haig looked good.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited August 2021
    andyp said:

gsk82 said:

Pross said:

That is easy to do when the best riders are not there.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited August 2021
    dabber said:

Other than Rog possibly fading in the final week(s) I don't think Ineos have any answer to Rog and Pog. The riders they've got aren't good enough.

It is not just Roglic and Pogacar, Jumbo-Visma got domestiques who can beat Ineos by themselves too.

When Roglic had to abandon the TdF, someone from Ineos should have gotten an easy 2nd place.

Yet it was a domestique from Jumbo-Visma who took 2nd and he did it without much help from his team as Van Aert went for his own glory runs.

What Ineos simply needed to do was finding the next Chris Froome. And they missed it as he rides for UAE for a long time.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    zest28 said:

dabber said:

It is not just Roglic and Pogacar, Jumbo-Visma got domestiques who can beat Ineos by themselves too.

When Roglic had to abandon the TdF, someone from Ineos should have gotten an easy 2nd place.

Yet it was a domestique from Jumbo-Visma who took 2nd and he did it without much help from his team as Van Aert went for his own glory runs.

What Ineos simply needed to do was finding the next Chris Froome. And they missed it as he rides for UAE for a long time.
    I thought according to your first post on here the future of cycling was a triathlete on an indoor trainer.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    zest28 said:

andyp said:

gsk82 said:

Pross said:

That is easy to do when the best riders are not there.
    Yes, it's very simple to win a Grand Tour. Barely worth a mention as all cyclists win one or more at some point.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2021
    amrushton said:

gweeds said:

His chance was when he was leading Aru around the Giro, since then he hasn't fared well. Just better riders and worse luck
    Can't help but feel Landa isn't good under pressure / as the team's focus. His best performances seem to have been when he's been a no.2 / domestique - see 2015 Giro (supporting Aru, 3rd on GC) and 2017 Tour (supporting Froome, 4th on GC by 1 sec).

Whenever he's been leader he's had a shocker of a day somewhere or a crash (or it seems that way). Or he's not known if he's leader or not so he's been ok-ish (The Movistar years...)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited August 2021
    The hipster's hipster leaving my old haunt in the Hague today... Fixed of course
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CS6aeiuApbE/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    ddraver said:

The hipster's hipster leaving my old haunt in the Hague today... Fixed of course
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CS6aeiuApbE/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading

Have had quite a few coffees there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited August 2021
    the WNR to Noordwijk and back was the epitome of the 'Sport is War' attitude the Dutch have. Especially when you met another club coming the other way..
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited August 2021

amrushton said:

gweeds said:

Can't help but feel Landa isn't good under pressure / as the team's focus. His best performances seem to have been when he's been a no.2 / domestique - see 2015 Giro (supporting Aru, 3rd on GC) and 2017 Tour (supporting Froome, 4th on GC by 1 sec).

Whenever he's been leader he's had a shocker of a day somewhere or a crash (or it seems that way). Or he's not known if he's leader or not so he's been ok-ish (The Movistar years...)
    Don't think it has anything to do with pressure. I think Landa just isn't good enough in general. When he isn't the captain he gets more room from other contenders and can sometimes capitalize to a point. It's not enough to win, but it may be enough to podium. He is Richie Porte level, not genuine contender level. It's not a slight. Not everyone is highest tier.
    Landa, Porte, Bardet, Pinot, Majka, Kruiswijk, Caruso, Mollema... are all good, but all lack a certain aspect of riding that is required to be the best.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    m.r.m. said:

amrushton said:

gweeds said:

Don't think it has anything to do with pressure. I think Landa just isn't good enough in general. When he isn't the captain he gets more room from other contenders and can sometimes capitalize to a point. It's not enough to win, but it may be enough to podium. He is Richie Porte level, not genuine contender level. It's not a slight. Not everyone is highest tier.
    Landa, Porte, Bardet, Pinot, Majka, Kruiswijk, Caruso, Mollema... are all good, but all lack a certain aspect of riding that is required to be the best.
    Porte has probably won more than the rest of that list put together.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    The context is obviously winning a GT.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023