Tubeless question

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
I want to try tubeless on my MTB just because I get a lot of small punctures that I think tubeless would probably solve.

Looking at the stuff on line - does the rim tape need to match the diameter of the rims ?

My rims are 40mm (it's a 2017 Genesis Tarn 10) - where the tape is available in 37mm or 42mm would it be better to get it too wide (I'm assuming not but no harm in asking) or slightly too narrow ?

Then apart from that I need ?
- tubeless compatible rims - check FATlab 40mm Tubeless-Ready
- tubeless compatible tyres - got Rocket Rons so will have to check that
- valves - I'm not sure I'm assuming the shortest length is fine

Anything else ?

Thanks
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You'll want the tape wider than the inner width of the rim, because it has to conform to the profile of the rim, which takes a bit of space. If the rims are 40mm internal, go for the 42mm tape.

Add sealant to your list. I've had good experiences with Muc-Off and Orange Seal recently.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    OK thanks
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    As was said above, make sure the tape is slightly wider than the internal width of the rim. I’ve been using Stans Race sealant in my tubeless set ups ( the more expensive version of Stans, with a red cap ) it has a higher concentration of the sealant crystals than the cheaper version. Also, if you go for it, make sure you shake the bottle well, before adding the sealant to the tyre, as the crystals do separate from the solution.
  • Perrygc
    Perrygc Posts: 13
    Agree with all of the above. I tend to use the ordinary Stans but have used both types and they are fine.

Tubeless will almost certainly fix your small puncture problem. I live in a country area with lots of thorn bushes, which the farmers cut at this time of year. It is amazing what a tubeless set-up will put up with. I took my bike out of the shed this morning for the first time in a week and noticed several sealant stains from the Stans around the tread. When I counted them, I discovered that I had 11 punctures in the rear tyre and 5 in the front and the sealant has plugged them all apart from the aforementioned staining where the thorns are. The tyres have both held pressure and not deflated which I think is pretty impressive. Tyres are Conti Cross-kings, which is an XC focussed tyre, as I have no need for anything more chunky in the summer.