Chain extension (ultegra)

vegas76
vegas76 Posts: 278
Is it possible to get a link or 2 to extend an Ultegra R8000 chain? I'm changing up my chainring from a 50-34 to a 52-36 and probably need a slightly longer chain.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    just chuck a quick link or two in.

job jobbed.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I'd just try it first. Bet you don't need to change anything.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    MattFalle said:

just chuck a quick link or two in.

job jobbed.

How does that work? A quick link is two outer plates. In order to fit one you can only replace an outer link, so you can’t extend a chain with a quick link.

• pilot_pete
    edited August 2021
    vegas76 said:

Is it possible to get a link or 2 to extend an Ultegra R8000 chain? I'm changing up my chainring from a 50-34 to a 52-36 and probably need a slightly longer chain.

Easiest thing to do would be to go and have a word with your local bike shop. When fitting a new chain they will remove a few links to correctly size it. They will probably let you have the discarded links for nothing. As long as it is the same chain it shouldn’t be an issue. You will need joining pins or a quick link to add the section of the correct length to your current chain.

I have fitted a couple of new chains in the last week and discarded the extra links from each.

The other thing to do would be to buy another matching chain. Size this correctly for your bike with the new chainrings. This will mean removing a few links. Take these extra links and use them to add to your current chain as required to make it the correct length. You will need a new joining pin or quick link to do this.

You will now have two chains that are the correct length - use your old one and then fit the correct length new spare chain when the current one with the extra added links is worn to limits.
  • I'd just try it first. Bet you don't need to change anything.

This.

Put it on first and just see how much the rear derailleur is pulling in the top and bottom cogs. Then decide to add more link. Otherwise its fine to just put a few links in to extend it.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Thanks guys. I guess it's unlikely I'll need to change the indexing on the front mech?
  • pilot_pete
    You will need to move the front mech up a bit to accommodate the new, bigger chainring. If it’s cable operated this will mean you will need to release the cable, move the mech, then reclamp the cable and index the mech. If it’s Di2, you should get away with just moving the mech up to the correct position.

Download the dealer manual which is available free online. It tells you exactly how to set up the front mech for optimal shifting.