La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 3, Santo Domingo de Silos - Picón Blanco, 203km **Spoilers**

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Finally, 1.5km later we get a view of the peloton - WHY ISN'T THERE A CAMERA WATCHING WHO IS OFF THE BACK OF THE PELOTON?

Anyway, at 3.3km Dombrowksi goes and Taarame counters - Domebrowski follows - nothing really happens

Not much in the peloton other than UAE taking over...
  • rick_chasey
    OK so we finally get a camera on the back of the peloton and Kuss is already out the back.
  • Sep Kuss dropped rather surprisingly.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    at 2.8km to go Taarame goes again and gets the gap on dombrowski. Eilsonde also loses touch of Dombrowski.
  • rick_chasey
    Carapaz off the back too.

Yates makes a move, using de la cruz from UAE as a springboard.

Bahrain chases and gets back to him.
  • rick_chasey
    Peloton is strung out now - Landa sinking backwards. Bernal on Roglic wheel. Yates, looks strongest in the peloton at 1.8km to go.
  • rick_chasey
    Peloton decides that's enough for now and slows down. Gutter-to-gutter with the reduced peloton.

Carapaz gets back on as a result.
  • rick_chasey
    SOmeone who I missed in purple attacks, and de la cruz and Yates follow - they catch him and it looks like yates counters - carapaz straight out the back again.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    That bike did actually look gold as it was disappearing out the back of the peloton, to be fair.
  • kingstongraham
    Go go grandad!
  • kingstongraham
    When Taaramae last won a GT stage in 2016, Dombrowski was third.

Good win today by Rein Taaramae, goes into red.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    Headwind in the last couple of kms really killed that off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Taaramae wins.

It all got a bit messy at the end in the peloton - Valverde led it out, but a) i got distracted by work and b) the camera work was done what looked like on a mobile phone on 3g so I have no idea what was going on.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited August 2021
    That certainly thinned down the list of contenders, without an actual attack.
    Brutal climb.

Fabio Aru finished just behind that GC group...
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    It looks like valverde commented on Roglic and his team not pulling all day, but chasing as soon as someone attacked. Typical newbie rider Roglic.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kingstongraham

Taaramae wins.

It all got a bit messy at the end in the peloton - Valverde led it out, but a) i got distracted by work and b) the camera work was done what looked like on a mobile phone on 3g so I have no idea what was going on.

I think valverde led them out, mas attacked, and lopez dragged them back to him. Classic movistar.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Bit underwhelming I thought . Hugh is not finding it easy .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905

Bit underwhelming I thought . Hugh is not finding it easy .

Carthy has always been more of a diesel climber though hasn't he? These seem to favour riders with a good punch.