Headset issue

My 6800 headset seems a bit reticent to rotate in one direction. It's about four year's old. Are these things repairable? Is it likely to be just a bit of Greece needed (I noticed I lost some a while back) or something more serious e.g. a broken bearing?

TIA

B

Comments

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    If you've not touched it for 4 years it owes you nothing..

Its deffo got issues, take it apart and look. Bearings can be replaced easily at home and if the races are shot the whole headset can be replaced, but that might be a bike shop job dependant on your skills.
  • Thanks Edward. For sure no complaints on my part, it's served me well. Do I need any special tools if some bearings require replacement? I've really not much idea about headsets tbh.
  • Deffo a minimum of new bearings top and bottom .
    After 4 years of no maintainence I'd be inclined to replace it all
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    No special tools for the bearings, no. stem cap off, pinch bolts loose and unthread it all.

If its the whole headset then to do it well you really need the 'getter out' tool and a press to put it back in. Its possible to do it with screwdrivers, punches, bits of wood and a mallet but I don't recommend it.

Maybe if its the whole headset then its an LBS job rather than buy the tools.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Not all bikes require tools to press in and out headset bearings. I can take mine out and replace without tools.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I agree with Wongataa.
    I can not remember when things changed but for a long while on several bikes it has just been a case of two sealed bearings ,removed and replaced with my fingers.
  • Thanks all. Any recommendations on bearings i.e. which brand or are they much of a muchness? And how do I be sure to get the right size? On the review of the bike on here it says 'Cartridge with 1 1/4in lower bearing' - does that imply it's tapered and that the upper bearing would be 1in'?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You need to take the existing bearings out and measure them. There are all sorts of different ones it could be. Different chamfers, outer diameters, etc.

Once you have the details you can find the replacements you need.