ridey ride, cafes, bask
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    WFH then a run, might have to be a long one as the weekend is congested
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Morning. Wife dropped off at work. Dentist soon for a new bridge (at last), shop, run, get mini-GTis doing some non-PS4 stuff, lunch, walk to m+s to collect a school uniform order, collect wife, relax.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, what a lovely morning, tigger walked , bike rode, breakfast with coffee, hospital appointment later
    Have a good day
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Morning campers, rush rushed and now in work. Running tonight, sprints apparently which I'm sure sounds more fun than it actually is.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    In the office scoffing a Cornish pasty and downing coffee. We're putting in a reduced offer on the house today based on the large-ish quotes we received for work need to fix stuff. They're not going to like that...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Windy. Really windy, as in gusts around 90km/h. Watched in astonishment as 2 search and rescue helicopters were out over the bay in front clearly looking. Yup, turned out a couple of utter morons had gone out kayaking in the river and one got blown away. Hard to believe, but seems there's no lower limit to how stupid people can be.

Packed up some wheels to ship. Will dismantle the bike and try and flog off the parts, looking to clear a few out of the racks in the shed. Had a virtual ride this afternoon.

Back to taxi duty tomorrow and Friday.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited August 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

In the office scoffing a Cornish pasty and downing coffee. We're putting in a reduced offer on the house today based on the large-ish quotes we received for work need to fix stuff. They're not going to like that...

I suppose be ready for them to reject it. Although they might have foresight and realise that any future buyers will find the same issues and push for similar.

It's the reason we got this place "cheap".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    A bit dull and windy here pre-forecasted deluge.
    Must get moving and sort one of the properties in my empire.
    Basically, a heap pf niggling jobs and Scottish Water did call me (automated) for a customer service survey. This suggests the job was done - without which, i'm snookered.
    Didn't actually get confirmation that the job was done.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • johngti
    New bridge fitted. Feels weird, like only one half of my mouth has any teeth in. Hopefully that’ll settle soon. Run in 10 minutes
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Stevo_666 said:

Thought that was all done and dusted?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Currently trying to make a classic Bolognese whilst battling Polish mother in law telling me how to make it. Garlic and parsley are a must apparently. Quite difficult to throw someone out of their own kitchen. Where’s an MF when you need one 😕
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    seanoconn said:

Currently trying to make a classic Bolognese whilst battling Polish mother in law telling me how to make it. Garlic and parsley are a must apparently. Quite difficult to throw someone out of their own kitchen. Where’s an MF when you need one 😕

he's in your loft. go and tempt him out with some some biscuits.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    sitting on top terrace chilling, weights weighted, house guests taking it easy, sun shining, all groovy bananananarama sauce

new copy of cyclist has just been flung at my head so that will keep me occupied.
  • MattFalle
    oooh - as an aside, currently under negotiations to allow me to re-apy for ODP role from a few months ago.

watch the disappointment arrive in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 .......
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'noon

Busy morning of doing not a lot but now back to work.
    Cycled to the shops this morning because I needed shopping and a bike ride. There's a NCN all the way, but it was so terrible I bailed and went down the A road instead for a big chunk of it.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2021
    Ben6899 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I suppose be ready for them to reject it. Although they might have foresight and realise that any future buyers will find the same issues and push for similar.

It's the reason we got this place "cheap".
    There will be some haggling. Although given we have written quotes for 80% of it (the rest is estimates stuff like redecorating after the work has been done and a couple of smaller issues which aren't part of the quotes). And TBH its pretty small as a % of the asking price so not a deal breaker - pretty confident we will settle on something fairly soon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Subject to surveys etc...although TBH you don't buy a 120 yo house and expect it not to have anything that needs sorting. This was related to damp and dodgy coverings on the flat roofs which really need doing to avoid big bills in future.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Currently mulling over converting my Heckler to a 1 x 10 set up and dropper post (see MTB tech forum) and using the same cranks. Then it occurred to me that older stuff might be worth quite a bit and I have spares sitting in the loft to sell. I might just get a new groupset instead!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Busy day of wfh and fending off stupid. Nice to have a lazier start this morning. Prices are going up for everything. Just been looking at HD's thread on the MTB stuff, good info from Spinner, I was thinking you'd need to know the BCD but couldn't add anything more useful. You are right about the value of used XTR, I sometimes look at it as the lad's bike is 9 speed and my Marin is 8 speed. People still pay silly money if it's XTR so easily pay for the rest of a new groupset. Wednesday means a pub visit later.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    I just sold a set of wheels for $300, that I bought in 2014 for $200….
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Subject to surveys etc...although TBH you don't buy a 120 yo house and expect it not to have anything that needs sorting. This was related to damp and dodgy coverings on the flat roofs which really need doing to avoid big bills in future.
    if they mess you around do ypu want me to send them a MF to, errr, negotiate face to face with them.

"Nice house love. Shame if it burned down".
  • johngti
    Just made an appointment to go an look at a car tomorrow. Really nothing exciting. All to do with the ULEZ coming into force just around the corner and my current wheels being too polluting to get away with it. Diesel Renault Scenic, I actually really like it because it’s pointless having a super nice car around here. It’s on a 60 plate.

Trouble is that I can’t raise enough cash to get something properly decent to replace it so I’m actually going to look at another scenic but a petrol one that is less polluting. One year older and higher mileage. Only interested if I can basically get away with paying nothing much extra for it (dealers have to make a bit, I realise this). So probably going to have to get used to the idea of paying £12.50 every time I go to the south circular from October. It’s only supposed to be temporary until we can change for something better. I do so few miles that the costs are irrelevant.

Stupid, me.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Afternoon,

Weather here is grey, light south west wind air pressure according the the barometer is 1012hPa matches what the local weather station sees so it'll do.

Fun time last night faffing with brakes. Wanted slightly bigger stoppers as the 140s are bit twee. Anyway turns out I can't just use some centerlock adaptors so had to spank out on new discs because Fulcrum use the AFS system, because Italian. Faff that is

Anywho work fun I'm avoiding some internal arguements over an outsourced IT solution which is not working out.

Pizza night night so nice lazy evening ahead.

Got a new frame bag for the railway orange tripster which I'm rather happy with, company up in pinnos end of the land

• seanoconn
    johngti said:

Just made an appointment to go an look at a car tomorrow. Really nothing exciting. All to do with the ULEZ coming into force just around the corner and my current wheels being too polluting to get away with it. Diesel Renault Scenic, I actually really like it because it’s pointless having a super nice car around here. It’s on a 60 plate.

Trouble is that I can’t raise enough cash to get something properly decent to replace it so I’m actually going to look at another scenic but a petrol one that is less polluting. One year older and higher mileage. Only interested if I can basically get away with paying nothing much extra for it (dealers have to make a bit, I realise this). So probably going to have to get used to the idea of paying £12.50 every time I go to the south circular from October. It’s only supposed to be temporary until we can change for something better. I do so few miles that the costs are irrelevant.

Stupid, me.

I’m in the same boat, 2014 diesel. Perfect family car but will cost me from October 😔
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

Currently trying to make a classic Bolognese...😕

According to the much revered The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan, p219:

Onion
    Celery
    Carrot
    50% beef mince (Neck)
    50% Pork mince (Regional variation).
    Dry White wine
    Milk
    Nutmeg
    Butter
    Vegetable oil (not Olive)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Plum tomatoes
    Regional variation, Beef stock.

Bolognese becomes more ornate the further North you go in Italy. That means that in Sardinia, it's onion, mince and plum tomatoes.

What people think is a 'Bolognese Sauce' in UK often beggars belief.

• seanoconn
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

According to the much revered The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan, p219:

Onion
    Celery
    Carrot
    50% beef mince (Neck)
    Dry White wine
    Milk
    Nutmeg
    Butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    Plum tomatoes

Bolognese becomes more ornate the further North you go in Italy. That means that in Sardinia, it's onion, mince and plum tomatoes.

Everything apart from stock (water) nutmeg & butter.
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

if they mess you around do ypu want me to send them a MF to, errr, negotiate face to face with them.

"Nice house love. Shame if it burned down".
    I'll let you know how it goes MF...
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

johngti said:

Stupid, me.

I’m in the same boat, 2014 diesel. Perfect family car but will cost me from October 😔
    Ironically I bought my current car to escape the expanded ULEZ charge :smiley:
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Onion
    Celery
    Carrot
    50% beef mince (Neck)
    Dry White wine
    Milk
    Nutmeg
    Butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    Plum tomatoes

Hang on to your hats Seano, there might be an Italian stampede.
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Onion
    Celery
    Carrot
    50% beef mince (Neck)
    Dry White wine
    Milk
    Nutmeg
    Butter
    Salt
    Pepper
    Plum tomatoes

Hang on to your hats Seano, there might be an Italian stampede.