Ambrosio P20

Any love for these rims? Look decent and not too expensive....

Comments

• I've built one onto a front wheel (2020 rim 32 hole) and is a nice enough wheel for my needs. It is an absolute pig to get tyres on (I couldn't get a 25mm Durano Plus to seat correctly). The 2021 model that Spa Cyles have for sale mentions that it has been redesigned on the back of feedback about some tyres being hard to fit.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    They're excellent rims IMO: look good, strong, wide and not too heavy. The older ones have very tight beads and you might need to lube the tyres up with soapy water and over inflate them (120psi) to get them to seat properly. Can also be difficult to get the tyre away from the bead to remove it. The newer ones are better in this respect. You can get the old ones in 20 holes only for £9.50 from Spa and the new ones for £35.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    So a P20 rim with 105 r7000 hubs would be an ok build?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    bmxboy10 said:

So a P20 rim with 105 r7000 hubs would be an ok build?

They be OK for sure, but probably overbuilt and pretty hefty with 32F and 32R, but it depends on who and what they're being used for. I am not so mad on Shimano hubs because you need to keep on top of maintenance to avoid ruining the bearing races if you get them soaked and leave them, and the freehubs have let me down in the past. Hubs with sealed cartridge bearings can be almost entirely revitalised with a new set of bearings.

If you don't need 32 spoke wheels then Miche Primato Syntesi hubs are durable and not too expensive (CycleClinic stocks them). Pair with ACI Alpina spokes (black or silver) from CycleBasket. 24F/28R, 20F/24R, 20F/28R, 28F/32R etc. are all viable depending on use case.

If you want to go lighter but not too expensive then there are hub options from Bitex and Novatec amongst others. These lighter hubs usually need more frequent bearing changes if they're used in the wet.