Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Help! Roxkshox Damper Socket

Hi all, got a new damper for my old (2013!) Revelation air forks and it needs a weird star socket to install.

I'll post a pic, does anyone know what tool I need for this?

Thanks in advance!

• for the lols here's what happened to the old one insitu, found this mess floating around inside the upper tubes

• me-109me-109 Posts: 1,429
    That looks like a large Torx fitting. Try your local Machine Mart or tool factor (like Cromwell Tools) to find the right size - I've never found them to measure up in any sensible way like a normal metric fitting/tool.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,733
    Is the star shaped bit held by the hex headed bolt that looks like it's recessed into it. Not sure if it shows what or how in this youtube clip for your forks.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • steve_sordysteve_sordy Posts: 2,311
    We are talking about the rounded six-pointed star shape aren't we?

I would consider a large hex or double hex socket. Try a few different sizes to get the best fit. As long as it is not too tight it should work.

If you have access to the side, then I would consider a gripping wrench of some kind. Make sure that you position the wrench so that it tightens onto the shape as you apply pressure.

I'm not thinking of a brute force Stilsen type, more one of the thinner Scorpion types, like this:
    https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/adjustable-plumbing-pipe-wrench-gm466025829-33499122
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,792
    According to the service guide you just use a regular 24mm socket.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009