Computer and radar

Hi

I’m looking to get a bike computer to show me maps, distance, speed etc. At the moment I just use my garmin fenix 6 watch and it syncs with Strava but looking for something a bit better.

Been looking at the garmin edge range but wonder why people don’t use their phones? Are phones possible and is there a good reputable app that works on them?

Also been looking at a rear light radar that syncs with my phone or bike computer to show me when traffic is approaching.

I’m looking for some recommendations here so hope you can help?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    I'll start and I'm sure others will come along.
    When I did triathlons I had a Garmin watch that I used for everything. Now that I mostly cycle, it seemed to make sense to switch to a bike computer - it's a dedicated unit, links with my HRM and other sensors if you want) easy to mount, easy to use, easy see and much cheaper than my phone if I do break it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    Main reasons for not using phones used to be battery life, water proofing and potential damage. These issues may be a thing of the past.
    There is a Garmin light that has radar and connects to their head unit. DYOR.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Is there an app that you can use on a phone or does this force you into buying their hardware like an edge 530 or explore?
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    pblakeney said:

Main reasons for not using phones used to be battery life, water proofing and potential damage. These issues may be a thing of the past.
    There is a Garmin light that has radar and connects to their head unit. DYOR.

There's also the ease with which you can securely mount it to the bike. A Garmin or similar will come with the appropriate mount in the box. Phone mounts are generally clunky from what I've seen, especially if they need to provide weather protection.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Hi
    Been looking at the garmin edge range but wonder why people don’t use their phones? Are phones possible and is there a good reputable app that works on them?

You can use a phone. Note that it is clunkier mounting a phone to your handlebars. Battery life is nowhere near as long - don't need backlights on with bike computer screens. Phones can be damaged by the vibrations. Bike computers are definitely weatherproof. Potential for expensive phone to be broken if you crash if it is mounted on the bike.
  • Just in case it helps, I have a wahoo elemnt bolt 1st version (not the newest one) and a garmin varia 515 rear light which pair together with no issue. Wahoo is great but the varia is a game changer if you live outside of a city (I would imagine constant traffic would just be annoying when it detects it).