Touring mountain bike - advice please!

Hey,

I'm on the hunt for a mid-range hardtail mountain bike, which I could use to do trails and go cross country off roading with, but also use as an on-road touring bike. So something that is nippy, strong and lightweight enough for long distance cycling. With gearing, and handling that would be a happy medium between road cycling and off-roading up and down steep trails.

Any advice, recommendations, or ideas of what to look for greatly appreciated. I'm thinking budget wise £1000 - £1500 new.

I know this might be asking a lot from one bike, but I'd love a bike I could go touring with, but then diverge off road with!

The bikes I've been considering are the trek x-caliber 9 and the trek roscoe. Any advice on these bikes for this use, as well as other bike recommendations, greatly appreciated!

Comments

• I bought a Trek Marlin for similar use, decent hardtail MTB for trails and also has mounting points for a rack for a bit of touring.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    What %split of road/off road do you envisage? How gnarly will the offroad bits be? Just wondering whether a gravel bike might be a consideration that would be better suited for the road touring part.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The new Sonder Dial might fit the bill.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009