Compatibility advice

v_adams1
v_adams1 Posts: 14
Hi folks, looking for advice on if I can change the brake lever/shifters on a bike I have bought.
At the min the groupset is DA 7800 except the brake calipers as the are Ultegra 6700. Ideally I would like to have the brake cables under the bar tape and fitted inside the brake lever as at the min the brake cables are fitted to the outside of the brakes. It is only to tidy things up and I prefer the look of the hidden brake cables.
Can I use 105 5700 or ultegra 6700 brake lever/shifters , any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Confused. I don't think it matters here what the calipers are, and it's the gear cables that cone out of the side I'd the shifters, not brake cables. But surely 7800 series brake and gear cables run under the tape anyway?
  • v_adams1
    Hi, sorry you are right it is the gear cables that come out the side. The cables are definitely coming out of the side on the dura ace brake lever. I was just looking to replace the levers with other shimano ones where the gear cables are under the bar tape.
    Does that help, sorry for the mix up.
    Cheers
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    IIRC, there is no compatability issues with mechanical gearing.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    I think the only compatibility issue with the 7900 series back to previous was with the brakes. They recommended *not* using the new 7900 callipers with older shifters as the brakes would be much too strong. Didn't seem to be any advice for using 7900 levers with older brakes though, although logically you'd think they might do the opposite and be a bit weak?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • v_adams1
    Hi, getting hold of 7900 dura ace or ultegra 6700 is a challenge, 105 5700 shifters are more readily available so this may be an option but I will hold off for a wee while to see if any 7900 or 6700 come along...
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    pinno said:

IIRC, there is no compatability issues with mechanical gearing.

Ahem, 10 spd Tiagra ;)
  • v_adams1
    Hi folks, still looking for dura ace or ultegra shifters but what I have found is sram red 2 x 10 speed shifters. From what I have read online I can use them along with a sram rear derauiler and and leave the rest of the dura ace groupset as is. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed possible. Bit of a hybrid set up.

Cheers