Karoo hammerhead 2 - user opinions

Been an avid supporter of the wahoo bolt (and wahoo in general) since it came out but the last year or so I have grown frustrated with a few issues that have developed following updates and wahoo no longer seem so committed to resolving problems quickly (or at all). So basically I'm thinking about getting a new bike gps. I won't go back to garmin and now hesitant about buying another wahoo, so been looking at the hammerhead 2. Sounds like they have made progress with this and the likes of dcrainmaker rate it quite highly. Just wondering if anyone on here owns this and how you find it? Particularly interested in hearing how it compares to wahoo or garmin gps devices (interface and usability), how do you find the livetracking - does it work reliably? Have you used it with a smart trainer? Also are there are any issues worth noting?

Thanks

Comments

• lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    I've just bought one after losing my Wahoo and changed due to the lack of being able to move around the map on the Bolt. So far I've found it good to use and quite like it.

I've not used live track yet and it works differently in that you have to set up your phone as a WiFi hot spot it's not via BLe (or you can put a sim card in the device). You have a weblink that you give to someone and it will track you any time you ride but doesn't send a notification. This is under planning to be changed to the more common BLe method.

The only other feature I miss is not being able to set either HR or Power alerts to stay in a training zone though it does have a nice graphical coloured data field you can see clearly.

Mapping and routing are very good.

It's not perfect but HH do seem to address issues quickly and work to improve the features (like Wahoo used to do). You can buy it a test for 45 days and return it if you don't like it.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    I've got 2 mates who've had hammerheads. Both have got bored of them and replaced them.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    @lochindaal thanks for the response. Sounds like it's still a work in progress then. Cheers for the heads up on the 45 day no quibble return, it might worth a punt to trial.

@gsk82 how did your mates get bored with it? Assume they do the same with other gps units as well? - given they all offer basically the same features, some devices are just more reliable than others.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    redvision said:

@lochindaal thanks for the response. Sounds like it's still a work in progress then. Cheers for the heads up on the 45 day no quibble return, it might worth a punt to trial.

@gsk82 how did your mates get bored with it? Assume they do the same with other gps units as well? - given they all offer basically the same features, some devices are just more reliable than others.

They've both struggled with the brackets not holding the units. One of them, who works in IT, was just disappointed with it after having high expectations. The general impression I got was that it was just a bit shoddy.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago