Hour Record - workout Elemnt Bolt

How do you program a workout to capture the distance cycled in one hour? Preferably from a stationary start, to have the device log distance traveled until the clock hits one hour.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Start clock, start ride.
    Clock says 1 hour, stop ride. Read how far you went. Simples, innit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Are you lapping a velodrome? If so, it's a bit more complicated and involves counting laps
    left the forum March 2023
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Are you lapping a velodrome? If so, it's a bit more complicated and involves counting laps

Is it? Why? Just use a speed sensor and the distance travelled will be recorded.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,255
    redvision said:

Is it? Why? Just use a speed sensor and the distance travelled will be recorded.
    Number of laps * length of a velodrome lap is not the same as distance travelled.
  • One of the annoying thing about the Wahoo units is they don't allow you to auto-trigger lap by location. Garmin do it without issue- even from the earliest units I used to use. I used to find this handy/ vaguely interesting when I was racing local road race circuits where I could set the Garmin to record laps by location. Basically, trigger it on the start line, and it would auto-lap each lap. This allowed me to look at the lap data afterwards.

Once I switched to Wahoo, I noticed it didn't do this. It does it by distance and a few other options, but not by location. I even sent them more than one request to implement this into their updates, but afaik, it still isn't there (although I don't race now, so not particular bothered)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    They still haven't fixed the average speed indicator (arrow) when used with other manufacturers speed sensors - always reads higher than true value unless using wahoo speed sensor or just GPS.

Apparently even the Bolt 2 has the same problem.

Only a minor issue, more annoyance really, but very disappointing that they haven't fixed the problem despite it first being reported in 2019 (started after an update that autumn iirc)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    edited July 2021
    redvision said:

If you only want to know how far you've gone, fine, but if you want to simulate the Hour, then you need to know the official length of the track and count the laps... this is how it has been done since the beginning... as for the last lap, you finish the lap you are doing when the hour comes and then you look back at your distance, the overtime, and make a calculation from there...

It's a tricky business that of the Hour, not at all simple. Many excellent competitors failed in essence by not understanding the rules and how to ride in a velodrome.

What are you aiming for?
    left the forum March 2023
  • drexel1975
    drexel1975 Posts: 70
    redvision said:

They still haven't fixed the average speed indicator (arrow) when used with other manufacturers speed sensors - always reads higher than true value unless using wahoo speed sensor or just GPS.

Apparently even the Bolt 2 has the same problem.

Only a minor issue, more annoyance really, but very disappointing that they haven't fixed the problem despite it first being reported in 2019 (started after an update that autumn iirc)

It doesn't even work with Wahoo sensors. I complained that much about it that they sent me a speed sensor for free and it didn't change a thing. Annoying but not critical.
  • I've found this works OK:

https://app.trainerday.com/workouts/hour-record .

Its a workout for the wahoo. To install:

1) download the .MRC file

2) connect your elemnt with USB cable to computer and drop the .MRC file in the /plans folder

3) on the elemnt, go to planned workouts>sync, sync all and it should load on the device

When you start the workout, the clock automatically starts running. It would be nice if this was tripped by your movement from a standing start position. At the end of the ride, the screen flashes FINISH a bunch of times during the last seconds of the hour. The clock doesn't automatically stop either, you still have to hit the button.

Ideally I'd like the strava activity to automatically stop at 1-hour and log the distance.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    You know you can retrospectively snip the Strava file to exactly 1 hour if you overrun it - there's free tools to do this.