Saddle sore

I seem to get saddle sores in the same place a bit too often for my liking. I have been using chamois cream on every ride for the last few months even if its just an hour cycle. I have a Fizik Arione on both bikes and have been through Aliantes and other saddles and the Arione seems to fit best. I think my issue comes from sitting too far forward on the saddle and therefore am sitting on the crease at the top of my leg which causes the saddle sore. I dont seem to sit on my sit bones often enough and naturally slide forward.

Apart from pushing back on the saddle constantly or pushing the saddle forward on the rails is there anything else I could do?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Have you tried a different pair of shorts?

A decent chamois pad can make a big difference
  • prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    I changed from one pair to a newer pair. The older shorts have the better chamois but theyre both Nalini shorts. The newer ones are a tighter fit currently so less movement of the shorts but I am more aware of the chamois.
    I think part of the problem is moving forward when I am pushing myself and sitting more on the nose so the top of my leg chafes the saddle sides more.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    have you tried a different saddle?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    If you are moving forward to get into a comfortable position, have you tried a shorter handlebar stem to get the bars a bit closer to you?
  • prcody
    Yeah I have tried Aliantes, a Specialized open saddle and the stock saddles with each bike. The Arione is the most comfortable for me it seems but bib shorts do play a big part but like saddles they cost a lot and seeing as I have 3 saddles I cant be building up a stock of bibs I wont wear.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I'd have thought moving forward would reduce the risk of chafing, not increase it.
    Hypothetically actually being on the rivet your legs would not contact the saddle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • prcody
    I shortened the stem before from 120mm to 90mm and it alleviated neck pain . I will play with the saddle before changing the stem.
  • Have you checked your fore and aft saddle position? I had a similar problem until I realised the saddle wasn't far enough forward , you may have to reverse or go for a non layback seatpost to get it far enough forward.
    I am sure you have done this , but I always check that my knee joint is over the pedal spindle with cranks at quarter to three as a starter.
  • Have you actually measured your sit bones? it might be the saddle is too narrow and you're rubbing left and right down the side of it as you pedal. I had this problem until I moved to a wider saddle, since then, no more saddle sores.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021
    Forward creep on the saddle is just a fact of riding unfortunately. You do need to re-adjust constantly, unless you’re riding on billiard table smooth surfaces ( unlikely ). Put loads of chamois creme where the sores are, and keep your position so that you are on your sit bones as much as possible. The Arione is a very flat race saddle. You could try a ‘hammock’ profile saddle, like a charge spoon, if you can’t control the forward creep you’re getting ( that comes with muscle conditioning). A saddle with a pressure gulley or cut out could help a bit as well, but I think it won’t be as much of a help as changing saddle profile.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ncovidius said:

Forward creep on the saddle is just a fact of riding unfortunately. You do need to re-adjust constantly, unless you’re riding on billiard table smooth surfaces ( unlikely ). Put loads of chamois creme where the sores are, and keep your position so that you are on your sit bones as much as possible. The Arione is a very flat race saddle. You could try a ‘hammock’ profile saddle, like a charge spoon, if you can’t control the forward creep you’re getting ( that comes with muscle conditioning). A saddle with a pressure gulley or cut out could help a bit as well, but I think it won’t be as much of a help as changing saddle profile.

Muscle conditioning to stop the forward creep when did you make that one up Muncher.
    You need to try riding on the rivet more often.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    James the bike fit guy who appears on Francis Cade's YT channel always bangs on about if you're getting saddle sores it's more often than not cos it's too high.

Might be worth checking.
  • ibr17xvii said:

James the bike fit guy who appears on Francis Cade's YT channel always bangs on about if you're getting saddle sores it's more often than not cos it's too high.

Might be worth checking.

Rocking ( because it’s too high ) would contribute to the problem, and height / angle adjustment would mitigate that to an extent. However that’s like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, you need to get a bit more drastic to eliminate the problem entirely.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ncovidius said:

This is just nonsense. 'Forward creep' is not a thing and is certainly not a 'fact of riding'.

You don't have to offer your 'thoughts' on every single thread Nick - especially if you've got nothing useful to add.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Note to OP, in case you are confused by the cross-fire: there is a long-time, multiple account & banned contributor, who derails many threads by offering his (almost always) b*****x nonsense as authoritative fact. He gets some sort of pleasure from this, and needs help. Unfortunately his contributions, and reactions of those who know him, frequently mean contributors go elsewhere. But he lurks there too.
    Apologies if you knew or realised this already.
  • Note to O.P. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    QED
  • webboo
    Note to O.P.After several months trying to develop your muscles to stop you sliding forward. You will realise this a natural occurrence when you put more effort in to pedalling. It is known as being on the rivet as back in time saddles had a rivet on the front.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021
    webboo said:

Note to O.P.After several months trying to develop your muscles to stop you sliding forward. You will realise this a natural occurrence when you put more effort in to pedalling. It is known as being on the rivet as back in time saddles had a rivet on the front.

I’m not arguing with that, but something simple like a change of saddle profile ( from flat race to hammock ) *should* help in the short term, with the OPs immediate issue. Just saying. The muscle development to reduce the creep will come with miles / efforts on the flat saddle, but won’t ever completely disappear, because of the physics / mechanics of bicycle riding ( look at any grand tour T.T. stage to see how often they have to shuffle back to maintain primo position in the rig ) Of course the O.P. could go for a recumbent trike, which would sort the issue straight away…..

• webboo
    Next time you get banned NotCotadecectidea. You could at least improve your knowledge or at least direct stuff at people who might know you are either talking b*llocks or taking the p*ss.
  • BikefitJames videos can cover ALOT of the issues people face for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrYOk_pB-V0&ab_channel=FrancisCade
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited September 2021
    Ncovidius said:

webboo said:

I’m not arguing with that, but something simple like a change of saddle profile ( from flat race to hammock ) *should* help in the short term, with the OPs immediate issue. Just saying. The muscle development to reduce the creep will come with miles / efforts on the flat saddle, but won’t ever completely disappear, because of the physics / mechanics of bicycle riding ( look at any grand tour T.T. stage to see how often they have to shuffle back to maintain primo position in the rig ) Of course the O.P. could go for a recumbent trike, which would sort the issue straight away…..

"Muscle creep is a fact of riding" "But it can be cured by muscle development"

But wait - the pros still have it..?

Tired of your bullshiit Nick. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

'Muscle development' ffs. Any muscle in particular? Name it. Or go troll somewhere else.