Campagnolo 10 speed chainset conundrum

Hi all,

I have a full campagnolo 10 speed veloce groupset. The crankset is about a year old, but is a 2014 model i think. It is a power torque and has 52/39 teeth. As the derailleur is short cage, my cassette is only a 11 - 25, so my easiest gear is still not that easy... and I live in a quite a hilly area of north London. I recently went on a 4 day cycling trip in Wales, and due to the crazy steep gradients and lack of gear options, I have returned home with tendinitis in the back of my left knee. To avoid this nasty business from returning, I think i really need to change my crankset to a compact. I also made the rookie error of buying a solo campagnolo 34 tooth chainring off ebay, to have it arrive and find out that does not even nearly fit onto my current veloce crankset.

Apologies for the rambling - my question is, because its so hard to find 10 speed compact campag cranks, I wonder if there are any other brand cranksets that are compatible with a full campag veloce 10 speed groupset???

Or should I just keep looking on ebay for a compact campag 10 speed crankset?

Alternatively, would people recommend getting a medium cage rear derailleur and then upgrading the cassette? The cassettes available for 10 speed are generally maxxing out at 29t.

Some of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

Alexei

Comments

• abishek_l
    abishek_l Posts: 45
    I've had a somewhat similar issue where I've the big chainring at the front and not so low gearing at the back. I was able to then find sprockets to enlarge the gearing on the biggest 3 sprockets and went from 23t to 28t as the largest sprocket. I haven't had to change my dérailleur - being a veloce 10 speed system. The sprockets were bought from the Cycle clinic. You could give them a call and they'll help you to figure out whether a new dérailleur will be required.

I found that was the cheapest and most efficient way for me to go. With regards to changing to a compact chainring, maybe try to find one that has the same bcd as the one you already have. I thought about going down that route but went to the cheapest option first to see whether that worked - and it does.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Any compact crank set will work so long as your b/b matches
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Good luck removing your existing chainset.
    The best place for a Powertorque chainset is on Ebay not on a bike.
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 461
    Nothing wrong with Powertorque once it is on, getting it off is an issue but if you have the right tool it is far from difficult. I've had mine on for 4 years now and it has worn out, much better than having to replace crappy Shimano bottom brackets every year.

I have just ordered a compact 10 speed Veloce chainset from Sprockets UK, though they only have the compact with 172.5mm cranks.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited July 2021
    Could fit a wolf tooth extender. Could poss run a compatible cassette e.g. Miche with maybe a 30 or 32. Spa cycles do a 13-30 miche.Any chainset works as long as you fit the right BB. Stronglight, Goldtec, shimano.
  • williamac
    williamac Posts: 71
    Hi

Might be worthwhile looking at Spa Cycles as they have lots of chainrings. I ended up getting a 50 stronglight outer one for my "old" ultratorque Athena (as couldn't find any campag ones. I'll have a look but I may have a 12-29 10 speed Veloce cassette which I can let you have if I can find it if you are interested. Not pristine but probably got a fair few mils left in it. In theory old campag cassettes are max 29 tooth

William