Bike Storage Hoist.

reaperactual
reaperactual Posts: 1,185
edited July 2021 in MTB general
Looking at a cheap hoist from ebay and after any positive or negative points before I buy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Ceiling-Hanger-Lift-Pulley-Hoist-Storage-Stand-Garage-Rack-20KG-/122886167884?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Any issues with the hook holding securely under the saddle, in particular if it gets knocked accidentally? 🤔

Would it be better to mount the brackets wider apart and hook on the rims instead, any unforseen issues doing it that way? Limited ceiling height so maybe the bike would end up a few inches higher and more out of the way? 🤔

Any thoughts, opinions and feedback is appreciated, thanks! 👍

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    That takes me back. A long time ago I rigged a hook and rope in the attic and pulled my bikes up there to store them. It was always a faff but cheaper than a garage.

If you hook on the rims it might flip the bike when you lift it. I cant see a problem as is other than where the rope you pull ends up.
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2021
    mully79 said:

That takes me back. A long time ago I rigged a hook and rope in the attic and pulled my bikes up there to store them. It was always a faff but cheaper than a garage.

If you hook on the rims it might flip the bike when you lift it. I cant see a problem as is other than where the rope you pull ends up.

Yeah, been there trying to store a bike out of the way using some wacky ideas.😖 Finally got a decent garage/mancave/workshop to mess around in. 😃

I've tried lifting my bike by hand using the rims and suppose it's more unsteady rather than hooking on saddle and handlebars and not really going to make much height difference. Just wary of the security of the hook under the saddle but sure I can rig something up when it arrives to secure it more if needed. Thanks for the reply Buddy.👍
  • reaperactual
    oxoman said:

Not sure how high you ceiling is, but you could possibly just use hooks rather than pulley system.

Hi oxoman thanks for the idea. Measured roughly an 8ft ceiling height. Just a bit high to lift bike up and mess around hooking up with arms stretched out. I reckon either way the wheels are gonna end up at around shoulder height.

Original plan was to use wall mounted hooks or something like that. Not realised or thought about it until now but my cable routing is under the top tube so don't like the idea of resting the weight of the bike there. 🤔
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2021
    Nice one oxoman! 👏 The wall mounted hooks look like a good option and might be better than the hoist idea for what I need.

Am also toying with the idea of a second bike in the stable in the near future now I've got more space.

I'll have a reshuffle and see if how it all looks when I get back home, thank you for the input Mate, appreciated. 😎👌
  • cryoman1965
    cryoman1965 Posts: 183
    I have 3 bikes stored on the same wall above each other using the hooks below.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-storage-solutions/mottez-bike-pedal-wall-mount-357613.html
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2021
    Cheers for the link cryoman. Yeah I checked out the reviews and could be another way to go. Looks like I'd need to put a batten under the front tyre to avoid rotating forwards but not a problem.

So that would be the most out of the way to store the bike but thinking I could use both a hoist and pedal hook to bring the wheels in to the wall and added security too? 💡

Looked yesterday and unfortunately can't mount using a wall mounted front wheel hook as my bike is going to stick out too far. Would have been great but I can only fit on a side wall as the rear wall is a no go and the front is a full length up and over garage door. 😑
  • reaperactual
    Update:

Thanks for the help. Went with the bike hoist in the end and at least have room for a second bike underneath if I get one. The hooks fit into a nice spot under my saddle but will add an extra strap for a back up.

Was nearly tempted for a Velo Hinge (hinged front wheel hook to lie bike against the wall so may consider those in future.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I'd hook it onto the frame instead of the saddle if possible, having the weight of the bike hanging off the dropper long term isn't ideal.
  • reaperactual
    Thanks for the heads up whyamihere, wasn't aware of that. Luckily it's an old school rigid seat post.

The original fitted 150mm dropper was too tall for me so sold it on and still haven't got around to ever using dropper's so far.😬