friday of most excellent fancy

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited July 2021
    Thinking about it, imagine if you marketed some over priced tat as "ceramic enhanced embrocation" and charged a fortune for really small bottles of it.

clubbies would buy tons of it, you'd get mega rich and be able to afford a fleet of Aygos to stalk TDNFNATN and TDLW in.

Life couldn't be much better tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    I wasn't really paying attention and thought the MFs were going to be stalking TLW for a moment there 😂
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,524
    Some of my watch bezels are ceramic. They are nice and shiny so I guess pinno has a point :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle

I wasn't really paying attention and thought the MFs were going to be stalking TLW for a moment there 😂

who says they aren't already?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I ceramic coated the pissrat, it had a thick buildup of grime a quick blast with the washer of pressure and its come up pretty well. Does very well on mud I've been debating slapping some on the bikes.
    I used an Auto Finesse kit which comprised of a pack of special wipes. Pro tip if you do it, wear gloves you'll coat your hands otherwise.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    MattFalle said:

What's the principal behind that ceramic stuff? why is it different to, say, wax?

[Geek mode: ON]

There are 3 things you can coat your car in:
    1) A wax
    2) A sealant
    3) Ceramic coating

Wax needs to be replaced reasonably frequently. Wax protects it from contamination, UVA and UVB (fading basically).
    If you want to wax it, I recommend Bilt Hamber double speed wax. It goes on even in direct sunlight and is so easy to apply and buff.

Carnauba based waxes are generally a sealant. I do mine with Kiwami Soft coat99. It seals the surface against corrosion, salt (in winter), contamination - pollution, green matter - stuff from trees - green matter is acidic, bird shoite. It also makes it easier to clean and easier to remove fly splat.
    Flies tend to splat above 50 mph, so the Aygo won't suffer it too much :).
    These Carnauba based waxes will last up to 1 year (or 6 months in Wales or Jockland).

You can wax all you like on top of a Sealant.

Ceramics are a different ball game. You can only use it on really clean paintwork, which yours will be as it is new.
    It's impermeable. It is very difficult to remove. It forms a micro thin shell on the surface which actually makes it more resistant to scratching (it's very smooth) and it seals like no other substance.
    It makes the car very easy to clean but you cannot wax on top of a ceramic coating. You don't need to.

Cleaning cars is generally the number 1 source of swirls and scratches. All modern paintwork consists of:
    An etching primer
    Primer
    Top coat (the colour; it's very thin and matt)
    A lacquer - it's clear (but a little bit soft) and makes the paint shiny.
    Dust, dirt etc not removed properly is then spread around and around with your sponge (which also picks it up) and is abrasive. It happens too at the auto car wash. Don't take your car to the car wash and do it manually either - those brushes are filthy and filth is abrasive.
    Sealants and waxes and particularly Ceramic coatings, reduce the abrasion caused by dirt.

That Autoglym in the link is easy to apply, will last 2 years +. You can top it up.
    But, make sure the car is perfectly clean - wash it twice with detergent and very hot water to remove anything that the dealer has put on it and the coating that it would have had having left the factory if the dealer hadn't removed all of it anyway.
    You also wash your car with a Shampoo and Conditioner (I kid you not) after that, so that you don't compromise the Ceramic coating.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304071105649?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=304071105649&targetid=1279902198619&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006649&poi=&campaignid=12128858326&mkgroupid=125212049720&rlsatarget=aud-629407025025:pla-1279902198619&abcId=9300480&merchantid=119281638&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0emHBhC1ARIsAL1QGNdDQoMbhqFGhb0mVp_-OJqrfESct4u0_FCGATL5NcVhRiJB2K3PPSkaAovdEALw_wcB

[Geek mode: OFF].

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    Aah FFS! Just seen the post about Thistle's MTB getting nicked. What is wrong with some people?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871

Aah FFS! Just seen the post about Thistle's MTB getting nicked. What is wrong with some people?

I know, and all of his camping gear - poor chap
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,691
    Ah not good, thieving barstewards abound.

Just back from an excellent sesh. 7 hours in the pub, well in practice under large marquee in pub car park, lots of beers, excellent wild boar hot dog, very chorizo stylee. And fantastic live music. ABBA tribute band Arrival, brilliant, followed by The Zoots, loads of 80s music, everything from Kylie through Prince via Toto and Paul Simon to Bon Jovi and Guns 'n Roses.

Live music! The bands were so pleased to be actually performing. And people were enjoying life, dancing, singing along, it was like the Before Times. Loads of people, n hundreds, bluetooth off, no pings. Is real life coming back?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152

:disappointed:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,524
    thistle_ said:

Plus loads. That is a real bummer thistle, I hope they catch them and string 'em up.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    thistle_ said:

Got anything I can share on the Woburn pages? Wendovers not far from me
  • MattFalle
    That's blimmin' rubbish - sorry dude.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

What's the principal behind that ceramic stuff? why is it different to, say, wax?

[Geek mode: ON]

There are 3 things you can coat your car in:
    1) A wax
    2) A sealant
    3) Ceramic coating

Wax needs to be replaced reasonably frequently. Wax protects it from contamination, UVA and UVB (fading basically).
    If you want to wax it, I recommend Bilt Hamber double speed wax. It goes on even in direct sunlight and is so easy to apply and buff.

Carnauba based waxes are generally a sealant. I do mine with Kiwami Soft coat99. It seals the surface against corrosion, salt (in winter), contamination - pollution, green matter - stuff from trees - green matter is acidic, bird shoite. It also makes it easier to clean and easier to remove fly splat.
    Flies tend to splat above 50 mph, so the Aygo won't suffer it too much :).
    These Carnauba based waxes will last up to 1 year (or 6 months in Wales or Jockland).

You can wax all you like on top of a Sealant.

Ceramics are a different ball game. You can only use it on really clean paintwork, which yours will be as it is new.
    It's impermeable. It is very difficult to remove. It forms a micro thin shell on the surface which actually makes it more resistant to scratching (it's very smooth) and it seals like no other substance.
    It makes the car very easy to clean but you cannot wax on top of a ceramic coating. You don't need to.

Cleaning cars is generally the number 1 source of swirls and scratches. All modern paintwork consists of:
    An etching primer
    Primer
    Top coat (the colour; it's very thin and matt)
    A lacquer - it's clear (but a little bit soft) and makes the paint shiny.
    Dust, dirt etc not removed properly is then spread around and around with your sponge (which also picks it up) and is abrasive. It happens too at the auto car wash. Don't take your car to the car wash and do it manually either - those brushes are filthy and filth is abrasive.
    Sealants and waxes and particularly Ceramic coatings, reduce the abrasion caused by dirt.

That Autoglym in the link is easy to apply, will last 2 years +. You can top it up.
    But, make sure the car is perfectly clean - wash it twice with detergent and very hot water to remove anything that the dealer has put on it and the coating that it would have had having left the factory if the dealer hadn't removed all of it anyway.
    You also wash your car with a Shampoo and Conditioner (I kid you not) after that, so that you don't compromise the Ceramic coating.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304071105649?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=304071105649&targetid=1279902198619&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006649&poi=&campaignid=12128858326&mkgroupid=125212049720&rlsatarget=aud-629407025025:pla-1279902198619&abcId=9300480&merchantid=119281638&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0emHBhC1ARIsAL1QGNdDQoMbhqFGhb0mVp_-OJqrfESct4u0_FCGATL5NcVhRiJB2K3PPSkaAovdEALw_wcB

[Geek mode: OFF].

👍