Help - Chain Issues

I won't go into long story but had to take chain as got slightly tangled after taking off rear wheel to fit in vehicle. I was not aware you have to replace powerlink but was lucky to get one today, now since chain put back together gearing not right and changes are really rough.

Now I have not re lubed yet which I will I do shortly but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on issue and just so you are aware I don't normally work on bikes other than clean so not great at resolving issues but I will try most things at least once.
So Far!

Comments

• loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    I think I have?
    So Far!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Looks like the Powerlink's upside down if that's the bottom run of the chain, which it appears to be.
  • loltoride
    Yes certainly is bottom run of chain so I need to start again basically, also not sure if this is connected but the cage lock does not work on mech. Thanks for help all.
    So Far!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    As @oxoman said, you can re-use powerlinks. But for clarity I would add that when the chain is worn out, so is the powerlink. But disconnect and reconnect as many times as you need to during the life of the chain it was fitted to.

I keep old powerlinks in my pack just in case I meet a stranded rider who could use one. I tell them that they are old and worn out, but so far not one rider has said he would rather not use it!
  • loltoride
    Hi all thanks for your advice unfortunately I damaged chain I presume when I took off powerlink with chain tool. Big shout out to Cycle Tech in Wakefield who were able to see me without booking and fit NX chain asap I will order a new XX1 chain and keep this as a spare. Cut a long story short keep me away from any repairs.
    So Far!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    loltoride said:

Cut a long story short keep me away from any repairs.

Alternatively, you know better for next time.
  • loltoride

loltoride said:

Cut a long story short keep me away from any repairs.

Alternatively, you know better for next time.
    This is the thing I struggled to open power link without tool so if situation arises again and I can't release without tool then will be LBS as I don't believe I was too heavy handed. I suppose I can't complain this is the first chain issue I have had in over 5 years and totally self inflicted.
    So Far!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    There was a time (with 9-speed) powerlinks that you could just squeeze and slide to separate the link. But with the advent of 10, 11, and 12-speed powerlinks you can forget that! Maybe if the chain and powerlink were very worn, just maybe.

I bought a proper tool for the job, but here is a video that shows 4 ways to open a powerlink without one. In my opinion the first three are the same, just using different materials, but it is very clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC_LNfnzosA