saturday you better run, you better take cover

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    hopkinb said:

Went on a ride once with a "fat dentist", not a dentist, but a hedge fund guy. Husband of one Mrs H³'s friends. He had a Pegoretti, beautiful blue paint job, dripping with campag and some bling wheels which I forget. It was a flat ride out to Henley-on-Thames via Windsor and back, to be fair I was in reasonable shape, but for such a lovely bike to be ridden like a Dutch shopper was a shame. He had about 60mm of spacers under the stem. Still, he bought me lunch when we got back to Wimbledon for dragging him round.

Right

Trip tp see Dario to get H3 measured up?

Or is Dario dead now? Or is that the bloke from Sarto who is dead?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I think Dario is dead.
  • hopkinb
    They still make them under his name. Looks like you almost have to apply to them, and they consider whether you are worthy/rich enough...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529
    dead dario is dead, and has become a brand, think 'curated', 'artisanal', etc.

afaik still mostly standard columbus tubesets, limited production means long lead times even for italy

i looked at them years ago when he was still around, was put off by the breathless marketing

went to cinelli for my custom xcr instead, which still took bloody ages, but at least they talked science, engineering and called their place a factory not a bottega
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattFalle
    well thats sorted.

Cinelli it is.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    edited July 2021
    MattFalle said:

well, the JBL model comes with uprated sound system and subwoofer where the rear wheel lives........

Having both rear wheels helps with cornering, especially with:
    MattFalle said:

supercharged and uprated management chip should take me to c. 150bhp......

Sound a like a laugh but didn't you say something about needing to get a sensible car that you can't drive like a twat and kill yourself in?

There was a race series for the (stock) aygo, the city car cup:

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862

Amazing views from snowdon today
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    tlw1 said:

Realise it’s not the right way, but obviously that makes no difference
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    hopkinb said:

Bottom bracket, despite being virtually seized, was not the source of the creak.

🤬

Removed, cleaned
    and greased every part of the drive train (including all chainring bolts) (creak there out of saddle and no-handed, but not while freewheeling, so must be drive train). Well, except for the drive side pedal. Which led to this. I can never remove drive side pedals.

Removed seat post and greased anyway, greased seat post clamp bolt, removed saddle, greased rails.

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

Therefore must be drive side pedal. Went to fetch hammer, petrol and trebuchet, but gave the pedal one last hard stare.

🧐

What's this little bolt? Ah yes, that tightens the cleat mechanism. Let's give this a few turns to tighten it up on both pedals....

Can you guess? Go on, have a guess.

Silence. Golden, blissful whirr of rubber-clad plastic deep rimmed wheels on tarmac.

Fcuking bikes. Half minded to deploy trebuchet anyway, as no time for a ride now...

Everything on the left hand side of the bike tightens towards the front... and everything on the right hand side tightens to... the front
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

Bottom bracket, despite being virtually seized, was not the source of the creak.

🤬

Removed, cleaned
    and greased every part of the drive train (including all chainring bolts) (creak there out of saddle and no-handed, but not while freewheeling, so must be drive train). Well, except for the drive side pedal. Which led to this. I can never remove drive side pedals.

Removed seat post and greased anyway, greased seat post clamp bolt, removed saddle, greased rails.

Creak still there.

🤪🤪🤪🤬🤬🤬

Therefore must be drive side pedal. Went to fetch hammer, petrol and trebuchet, but gave the pedal one last hard stare.

🧐

What's this little bolt? Ah yes, that tightens the cleat mechanism. Let's give this a few turns to tighten it up on both pedals....

Can you guess? Go on, have a guess.

Silence. Golden, blissful whirr of rubber-clad plastic deep rimmed wheels on tarmac.

Fcuking bikes. Half minded to deploy trebuchet anyway, as no time for a ride now...

congrats on fixing but you know this does mean you need n1 as current bike is a tinkerer and taking up so much of your time.

that wound definitly requires a night of decent vino rosso, 'scratchins and past episodes of TDLW's classics....
    No room.

I'd love a proper road bike, then I'd put a long cage derailleur, higher spoke count wheels, 11-36 cassette and 35 or 40 mm knobblyish tyres on what I have now, which is a cx/gravel frame anyway. Apparently there's loads of good gravel riding not too far from here.

Maybe I'll sell/donate the boy's bike. He never uses it, and it takes up a fcukton of space in the "pikey metal shed" (TM Pinno) with its silly wide handlebars.

Then I would have room for a sleek road machine. Then I'd have to spend ages choosing though. Custom steel with high end (possibly Italian) mechanical groupset? Off the peg or custom carbon with etap?

I might put the boy's bike in next door's house (empty), see how long it takes anyone to notice. If > 3 months, then commence Operation Posh Bike.
    Etap?! FFS.

Campagnolo Hoppy. SR11. It's like an aria from La bohème,
    Chorus of the Hebrew slaves perhaps.
    All proper cyclists* ride Campagnolo.

*The great Sungod has such high nephrotoxicity in his blood it has affected his rationale;, even he went down some dark component alleyway and it will be hard to get him back.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    Nice scratch BTW.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    Anyone else watching CHiPS?

5 episode in a straight row special....
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    tlw1 said:

tlw1 said:

Realise it’s not the right way, but obviously that makes no difference
    I was going to say it seems to have got steeper since the last time I was there till you posted that.
  • MattFalle
    H3?

when we going? we can stay at my crib and send Pinno pictures of salami, vino, beautiful women.

Ride the Giro roads.

Buy bicycles.

• MattFalle
    He may even stop talking to us again....
  • hopkinb
    September. Vendemmia. Tartufo.
  • hopkinb
    pinno said:

Nice scratch BTW.

Healing well. Not too much oil and road shyyte stuck in it...

• hopkinb
    Super record 12 speed disc gruppo available for a mere 2.5k. 500 less for rim brakes.
  • hopkinb
    Oh, it's all out of stock.
  • webboo
    edited July 2021
    I have friend who owns a bike shop who used to be an aircraft engineer and has a bike with Campag super record 12 speed. He reckons Campag is a bit sh*t not only to work on but to ride.
  • hopkinb
    I have had sram for 7 years, rival then force mechanical. Never missed a beat.
  • webboo
    So why change.
    Campag do a corkscrew for £190 but I bet your wine waiters £10 one will be more efficient.
  • hopkinb
    To be fair I put "(possibly Italian)". I'd end up sram red I reckon.
  • MattFalle
    Had Red since first gen 10 speed.

its been perfect, exactly as H3 says

Same for Rival 10 and Red 11.

• hopkinb
    Where are you on Prof Alice Roberts MF's?
  • webboo
    Probably still stalking her. >:)
  • hopkinb
    More archaeology than history, but still, intelligent women on TV is great. I love Mary Beard. There's also Bettany Hughes, though she her programmes are not on iplayer just now, she did some very interesting stuff on Buddha and Asian history.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    “You better run, you better take cover..”

I *can’t stand* that song.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529

“You better run, you better take cover..”

I *can’t stand* that song.

tbh i much preferred the saints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv3ohkLAd6U
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

Where are you on Prof Alice Roberts MF's?

in her loft.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

More archaeology than history, but still, intelligent women on TV is great. I love Mary Beard. There's also Bettany Hughes, though she her programmes are not on iplayer just now, she did some very interesting stuff on Buddha and Asian history.

thats all fine and dandy but neither of them are as qualufied or clever or nothing compared to TDNFNATN.

Neurologist
    Presenter
    Actor
    Lab coat wearer
    Utterly totatally wonderful

The young lady has it all

If I wanted anyone to stick a finger in my brain it would be her.