Tick,Tick,Tick... Maybe Need A New BB?

Kaiser Sose
Kaiser Sose Posts: 90
edited July 2021 in Workshop
My bike has the Shimano Ultegra BBR30 bottom bracket. It is the original one that came with this BMC bike when I bought it eight years ago. I had the BB out once when I had to have the frame repaired about five years ago. I've done about 20k miles on it I'd estimate.

I've got a tick, tick, tick sound associated with crank revolution. Gear change is fine. I have eliminated just about every other thing, pedals and shoes included. Still does it. Next step is have the cranks off. Whilst I am at it I am thinking I might as well change the BB - they are only £25 or so.

What does the Oracle think please? am not the most expert at bike maintenance but I am learning and this BB type is easy to swap.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Its cheap, done a load of miles and there are no down sides at all to changing it.

go for it.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,555
    I know it's obvious, but check the crank arm isn't hitting the cable end on the front derailleur. This'll give you a tick on each rev. Otherwise, a new BB
  • I checked that already masjer, but a good call.

BB ordered and Parktool for doing it so that I can do all my bikes myself moving forward.
  • Bottom bracket replaced, problem gone :)

Maybe a guy with my size and power should replace this annually as a consumable component. It is a quite cheap and critical drivetrain component, £24.99, and a 20 minute job to change with the right tool - Parktool BB tool I also bought and now have for future changes on this and my other bikes.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited July 2021
    how much power? do you have a number?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Kaiser Sose
    Kaiser Sose Posts: 90
    edited July 2021
    It goes well over a thousand on Kickr indoor trainer as an instantaneous value over a few seconds when I really put my foot down on short, sharp hills, assuming it is measuring correctly. Maybe that stresses the BB with the sudden torque???? Dunno, anyway, I replaced it and it is an easy job so I might as well swap this component and chain once per year. Once you have the bike it is not an expensive sport really is it? A BB, chain, cassette maybe and a couple of tyres per year.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

.... Once you have the bike it is not an expensive sport really is it? ......

Ummm....n+1; n+1+1; n+1+1+1; GPS devices; Helmets; New Jersey; New Winter Jacket; New Waterproofs; Other Waterproofs cos the last one wasn't really that good; Another Waterproof cos you can't remember where you put the other two; Shoes; More Shoes; Overshoes; Wheels; Other "Best" Wheels; ....

I could go on ;)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• .... Once you have the bike it is not an expensive sport really is it? ......

Ummm....n+1; n+1+1; n+1+1+1; GPS devices; Helmets; New Jersey; New Winter Jacket; New Waterproofs; Other Waterproofs cos the last one wasn't really that good; Another Waterproof cos you can't remember where you put the other two; Shoes; More Shoes; Overshoes; Wheels; Other "Best" Wheels; ....

I could go on ;)

Lol, well, I suppose if you look at it like that then, yes, it can get pricey. The key is, don't look at it like that ;)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Saw these on ebay - bargain, but saw these so must sell the first lot. Another must-have rain jacket/helmet/ pair of shoes that will pedal for me. I could go on ;)
  • There is a big difference between "need" and "want". At least, that's what I am always telling my daughters....😂
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Also depends on the quality. A Royce, hambini or Phil Wood BB may be a worthwhile investment but bearings do need changing occasionally
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    Did you change the front derailleur cable recently?

One time when i was young i got the dreaded tick tick tick and after a season(!) realised my front derailleur cable was long and my crankarms were hitting the cable cap at the 11oclock position *smh*
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

It goes well over a thousand on Kickr indoor trainer as an instantaneous value over a few seconds when I really put my foot down on short, sharp hills, assuming it is measuring correctly. Maybe that stresses the BB with the sudden torque???? Dunno, anyway, I replaced it and it is an easy job so I might as well swap this component and chain once per year. Once you have the bike it is not an expensive sport really is it? A BB, chain, cassette maybe and a couple of tyres per year.

Your original BB lasted 8 years and 20k miles! Why on earth would you change it every year when it would only be 1/8 worn! That would be £200 at today’s prices over the next 8 yrs as opposed to £24.99 over the same 8 yrs. I am sure there are other nice things you could spend that £174.93 on!!!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    There’s a chap on here @hopkinb is an expert on ticking BB’s. He’s your man 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    It's never the bb. Or nearly never. My latest click was insufficiently tightened cleat retaining mechanism in the pedal, which I've now actually realised is worn cleats, so when I put the power on, or hit a hill, the cleat is clicking in the pedal.

Time before that, it was a spoke nipple that was rattling.

Time before that, it was the lace on my drive side shoe, hitting the chainring.

Also front derailleur cable on crank.

It's nearly always something silly.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    Have you checked your chain ring bolts?
    Is the click regular or irregular?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • It goes well over a thousand on Kickr indoor trainer as an instantaneous value over a few seconds when I really put my foot down on short, sharp hills, assuming it is measuring correctly. Maybe that stresses the BB with the sudden torque???? Dunno, anyway, I replaced it and it is an easy job so I might as well swap this component and chain once per year. Once you have the bike it is not an expensive sport really is it? A BB, chain, cassette maybe and a couple of tyres per year.

Your original BB lasted 8 years and 20k miles! Why on earth would you change it every year when it would only be 1/8 worn! That would be £200 at today’s prices over the next 8 yrs as opposed to £24.99 over the same 8 yrs. I am sure there are other nice things you could spend that £174.93 on!!!
    Agreed. Maybe once per year is indeed a bit excessive. Every couple of years with a regrease once per year should be fine.