Freehub Compatibility

a1dan
a1dan Posts: 17

Excuse my technical ignorance here, but I'm trying to get clarification on compatibility between freehubs and wheels/hubs...

I have a bike with Campag Potenza 11 groupset, and am looking to buy some new Mavic wheels (replacing Miche ones which came with the bike).

Tthe wheels come with a Shimano compatible freehub which would need replacing, but I'm not clear on whether I would need to buy a new freehub which was specifically Mavic-Campag compatible, or if the wheel / hub side fitting is universal, meaning I could use the freehub off my current Miche wheel?

Any advice that would be great!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    You need a Mavic freehub. Even that's not quite enough, as different wheels within Mavic's range use different freehubs, so you need the one which matches the specific wheels.

Another option is that people report good compatibility between Campagnolo and Shimano 11 speed cassettes, so you could try a Shimano cassette.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Shimano/Campag 11 speed cassette interchange works perfectly.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • a1dan
    Thanks Matt... the bit I'm really interested though in is whether my current Campag freehub is compatible with a new wheel which is likely to ship with a Shimano freehub...
  • a1dan

You need a Mavic freehub. Even that's not quite enough, as different wheels within Mavic's range use different freehubs, so you need the one which matches the specific wheels.

Another option is that people report good compatibility between Campagnolo and Shimano 11 speed cassettes, so you could try a Shimano cassette.

Thanks... so does that apply across all wheel manufacturers (ie they all need their own freehubs) or are any compatible / standardised? There's a set of Fulcrums I'm also looking at.

I suspect just switching to a Shimano cassette could well be the easier option!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    There's no standardisation. The best you'll get is where a manufacturer uses the same hub as someone else. For example, Roval use DT Swiss hub internals, Prime wheels (and lots of others) use Novatec hubs. Fulcrum are owned by Campagnolo, so there may be some cross-compatibility there, but you won't be able to fit your Miche freehub to anything other than another Miche hub.