Any ideas why 10 speed chain falls between middleburn duo chainrings?

I’ve just put together a new sub compact new crankset consisting of :
Middleburn R02 cranks
Middleburn incy double spider 110/58
Middleburn CR 58/ 28t inner
Stronglight compact concept 44t 110 bcd

When I shift down the chain falls into the huge gap between the chainrings . Chain is shimano 10 spd . The gap looks too big . Is it possible the spider is manufactured wrong ? I called middleburn and they told me it was the chainline! Or the front derailleur stops uh ?!??
I imagine the stronglight may be dished away or too thin to make this huge canyon the chain slides into but how thick does the outer ring have to be?

Comments

• banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I have had this on a few chainsets, mainly FSA, think on the last one i had problems with i filled down the spacers beween the small chainring and the large one, got rid of the problem ok.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    Check both chain rings are the right way around.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002

Check both chain rings are the right way around.

I’ve done this. The badging on the inner was not on the side I expected, and I mounted it the wrong way round. It worked, poorly, until I realised and turned it.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,558
    edited July 2021
    Is the Stronglight 44t chainring actually an outer and not an inner chainring ?
  • First.Aspect
    Hard to tell what ratio is being run. On the face of it a 44-28 combo up front. Looks like it is a crankset with 2 bolt centre diameters 110 outer, 58 inner and that he's mixing chainring types. There will be a MTB 28t inner and a road 44t outer made by someone else.

Absolutely no way to tell whether that would work. If it were me I'd try to get a middleburn outset chainring.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    This isn't manc33 or bungle again is it? Another frankenbike and wondering why random parts bolted together don't work together.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    different msnufscturers, random chain tings, massive ratio gaps, huuuuge gap between chainrings, clueless bloke putting it together.

and we wonder why it doesn't work.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    Nothing wrong with playing around, but you can't blame the manufacturer if it doesn't work.

Why anyone would bend physics to get that particular gear combination is another question, given that you could get as low as a 33 on a standard compact, and a dinner plate cassette out back. Anything more and you need a mountain bike anyway.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    because you need loads of gears when audaxing with a 40kg rucksack.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

because you need loads of gears when audaxing with a 40kg rucksack.

Well yes but there are components actually designed for that without having to create a shifting shjtshow.

And they tend to be cheap because audaxers tend to be to slow and steady and 'Claris is perfectly adequate thank you' types called Norman or Derek.