Ineos Tour tactics ***SPOILERS***

2»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

Pross said:

It's the issue on these types of finishes, the peloton gets spread out so that 1 second actual gap to the wheel in front becomes quite substantial on the GC. I would say it's not the sort of climb that suits Geraint but to answer Rick's question about if he were on Tour winning form, from memory of 2018 he was highly placed on the same finish. That said, I still think Pogacar and Roglic have slight question marks on how well they will manage in the high mountains if put under pressure by a (Tour winning form) Thomas and Carapaz.

That's a potential issue, but in this case, here's when Colbrelli crossed the line in 27th place, with Thomas in 28th indicated with a red arrow.

That doesn't look great for Thomas.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

17s nowadays is material.

Isn't this just an extension of your prologue theory which no one agrees with?
    Friebe agrees with it, FWIW. And yes, it probably is.

Though if Rog finished 17s ahead of Pog in a MTF we'd be calling it Rog's to lose.

Can someone refresh me as to what Rick's prologue theory is please ?
    Prologues are good indicators of GT form. So, for example, this year's Giro was won by Evenopoel with Carthy and Yates completing the podium.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    It's very different staying in the group with Roglic and Alaphillippe, and not sprinting for the win like he did in 2018. Yesterday he was on the front of his group, going (I assume) as hard as he could to reduce the time lost.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited June 2021
    Ineos has been stopped . Not good for them . They need a performance in the TT. And get Ritchie up the road ... Tall order. They could get lucky with some wind but that's like trying to fix your finances by buying a lottery ticket plus they could be the ones caught out .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

Pross said:

It's the issue on these types of finishes, the peloton gets spread out so that 1 second actual gap to the wheel in front becomes quite substantial on the GC. I would say it's not the sort of climb that suits Geraint but to answer Rick's question about if he were on Tour winning form, from memory of 2018 he was highly placed on the same finish. That said, I still think Pogacar and Roglic have slight question marks on how well they will manage in the high mountains if put under pressure by a (Tour winning form) Thomas and Carapaz.

That's a potential issue, but in this case, here's when Colbrelli crossed the line in 27th place, with Thomas in 28th indicated with a red arrow.

Hadn't seen that before, that really is a worrying gap. It was noticeable that Porte didn't seem to have a response on the front when the attacks started but not sure if that was as he didn't have the legs himself or because Thomas couldn't hold if he did.

The TT will be interesting, you would think he'd have a chance to grab a few seconds back but his Dauphine TT was poor.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

17s nowadays is material.

Isn't this just an extension of your prologue theory which no one agrees with?
    Friebe agrees with it, FWIW. And yes, it probably is.

Though if Rog finished 17s ahead of Pog in a MTF we'd be calling it Rog's to lose.

Can someone refresh me as to what Rick's prologue theory is please ?
    Prologues are good indicators of GT form. So, for example, this year's Giro was won by Evenopoel with Carthy and Yates completing the podium.
    I think this year's Tour has been greatly enhanced by not having a prologue.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Events have happened and it's surely it's all in for Carapaz now, no?

Ritchie was never actually going to happen, Tao would have been great but no one really thought it was realistic, Gee's performance yesterday is a strong indication that this is not his year, so...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Events have happened and it's surely it's all in for Carapaz now, no?

Ritchie was never actually going to happen, Tao would have been great but no one really thought it was realistic, Gee's performance yesterday is a strong indication that this is not his year, so...

Why? They are only separated by 10 seconds and there's a TT in a couple of days.
  • ddraver
    10 seconds is nothing - but in other ways, it's a lot.
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    I'd have thought there's a 90% chance that after the TT, Thomas will be ahead of Carapaz on GC.
  • ddraver
    What about at the top of the first climb?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Once again, events...
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    That ^^^ aged well.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,534
    Wonder how long before the answer to the thread is "stage hunting"?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Well, things have changed a bit again now!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Carapaz still the most likely though
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    This whole thread is basically just predictions going wrong
  • Pross
    It's what happens when people react to the first stage of a GT as though it is the race over.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tao's going to Pereiro it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    So... New tactics, same as the old tactics, if Geraint can ride a TT ok.

Carapaz the big winner from today's carnage, Roglic the big loser (also lost Gesink, his team is looking pretty battered now), Geraint lost then won...

Both Geraint and Roglic will need to assess injuries, both have previous for fighting on, though Thomas riding a full tour as domestique with a crack in his pelvis is up there for bravery
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

Tao's going to Pereiro it.

It's Fuglsang's time to shine, even though he came here for stages. :wink:
  • Pross
    Quintana to win the GC having been completely missed on the startlist by most.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    There are quite a few looking at the GC and thinking... "Maybe..."
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Pross said:

Quintana to win the GC having been completely missed on the startlist by most.

...by beating hardman Billy Carapaz? 🤔 A South American duel to the finish would be interesting.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I wonder what Jumbo are thinking about van Aert being 30" off yellow and ahead of Roglic by a minute? I know he's targeting yellow in the TT already, what happens if he gains another 30" on a banged up Roglic?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

I wonder what Jumbo are thinking about van Aert being 30" off yellow and ahead of Roglic by a minute? I know he's targeting yellow in the TT already, what happens if he gains another 30" on a banged up Roglic?

Jumbo are quite unimaginative. Can’t see it myself
  • ddraver
    What would they be thinking though? "After some 'classics style' stages, our classics rider is ahead of our GC rider so therefore we should go with him for GC?"

Even though at no point has anyone considered him a GC rider
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver said:

What would they be thinking though? "After some 'classics style' stages, our classics rider is ahead of our GC rider so therefore we should go with him for GC?"

Even though at no point has anyone considered him a GC rider

But should he have dropped back to help the chase? He's a big engine. It's similar to last year in the crosswinds when he saved himself for the sprint (which to be fair he won) rather than driving the gap to Pogacar.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Well, I think he's partly there for insurance honestly. Nab a stage so it's not so bad when Rog does a Rog.
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

Jumbo are quite unimaginative. Can’t see it myself
    To the point that he made the small group selection yesterday and still didn't go for the sprint to gain a bonification or two.
    Their tactics must be written on tablets of stone.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.