Creaking BB30

venster
venster Posts: 356
Hi.
I’m suffering from a creaking BB30 bottom bracket.
I’ve eliminated all other things and the sound comes from when I’m putting power through the pedal.

I took the cranks out and the bearings are silky smooth. I’ve read about using Loctite to secure the bearings in the frame - not sure if mine have been but is it something the LBS would do if they took them out?

Also, should I change bearings, what’s people’s favourite? Stick with what’s in there (FSA - I think) or something else?

Thanks

Comments

• venster
    Also, reading up other people have used adapters, like Praxis, and a new chainset and this has eliminated the creak.

How does happen when you’re using the same bearings in the frame??
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    If your BB is a pure press fit one (doesnt screw in), then getting a BB from someone like Praxis will probably be the best option.

I got a praxis one for mine to resolve the issues. Praxis and a few others like Wheels Manufacturing make BBS that can screw in, so have less play compared to ones which you just press in, to install.
  • venster
    So I can just pull the current bearings out and use these screw in BBs and use the same chainset?

Sounds simple?
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    venster said:

So I can just pull the current bearings out and use these screw in BBs and use the same chainset?

Sounds simple?

Yes, although if you don’t have the tools to install a screw in BB, it will be cheaper to just get bike shop to do (cost me £30, vs £50 for tools).

Also I am not sure that bottom bracket is compatible with your cranks, as that one is made to install praxis cranks in your bike. What cranks do you have exactly?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    plenty on YouTube. greasing the edges might help and hambini has some stuff on YouTube. he also does bearings and BBs (which are supposed to be lovely albeit expensive)
  • venster
    PMark said:

venster said:

Sounds simple?

Yes, although if you don’t have the tools to install a screw in BB, it will be cheaper to just get bike shop to do (cost me £30, vs £50 for tools).

Also I am not sure that bottom bracket is compatible with your cranks, as that one is made to install praxis cranks in your bike. What cranks do you have exactly?
    I realised that BB isn’t suitable. I’m struggling to find a suitable one tbh.

I’m running the Cannondale Spidering chainset

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    One of these maybe?

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/cannondale-bb30a.html

I have one in my Felt frame after many woes with BB30 bearings.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• To Vengster,
    Same as you,I developed an intermittent creak in my 10yr old BB30..when putting the power down ..alright otherwise.
    Convinced myself that it was the bottom bracket albeit I removed the cranks a number of times to see the bearings,rotated by hand which although they did 'feel' smooth I thought that perhaps I must be mistaken.
    So,bought tools,tentatively replaced BB30 bearings,reassembled and off for a test ride and what do you know...creaking the same.
    With bike up against a wall and pulling cranks to check for tightness I was also gripping rear stays and noticed the 'creak'..on closer grumpy inspection I traced this to a slightly loose rear wheel QR lever..so tightened and off for another test ride and hey presto no creaking.
    So at least I now know how to replace a BB30.
  • sunnyape
    sunnyape Posts: 2
    edited July 2021
    The OP said he was running Cannondale Spiderings. I have a carbon Synapse with BB30A with a SISL crankset. Those multi-piece cranksets are often the cause of the creak. If you disassemble, clean, and re-assemble the spider / lock ring assembly with Loctite, that can often solve it.

BB30 can be very reliable when installed correctly, but it's a bit hit-and-miss.

About 6 months ago, after about 20K kms since the last service, I was starting to get some creaking when out of the saddle. The chainrings were looking quite worn and the BB bearings had some play, so it was time for a pull-down and service. Trying to find a new set of 5 bolt 110BCD rings was nearly impossible and the prices were absurd... so I too put in a Wheels Manufacturing BB that converted to 24mm axles and put in a Shimano 105 5800 crankset. Smooth and quiet! Also has slightly better up-shifting than the plain FSA chainrings and the cranks are a bit stiffer too.

Well worth the effort, and actually cheaper than replacing the BB30 bearings and new chainrings.