Shoe recommendation for flat feet

Hi folks

I have (really) flat feet and I'm having trouble finding riding shoes without an arch - or with a minimal arch - can anyone recommend any?

The reason is that after about 30 minutes I get foot pain on the outside of my left foot, midway between the ball and heel.

I've tried gel insoles but you can't get any (that I've seen anyway) to minimise the arch in the shoe. After researching there seems to be a lot of snake oil out there too, but the NHS say if you don't have an arch, there is no point trying to force one. I have exactly the same issue when walking but if there is flat insole, then I'm fine. The amount of pain and time it takes to start rise in proportion with the prominence of the shoe's arch. I'm using SPD pedals right now (same on my road bike).

Any advice welcome - thank you!

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited June 2021
    Remove the contoured insoles from the shoes you have and replace them with ones you can get from Timsons as they are flat.
    Actually not just Timsons, you can get them pretty much anywhere that sells shoes and shoe products.
  • Remove the contoured insoles from the shoes you have and replace them with ones you can get from Timsons as they are flat.
    Actually not just Timsons, you can get them pretty much anywhere that sells shoes and shoe products.

Thanks - I have tried that with gel insoles, but my existing shoes still have an arch. I was looking for advice on any shoes that have no arch built in I guess.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you go on the road buying bit of the forum there is a thread on wide fronted cycling shoes. There is a video on it with guy going on in great detail about insoles and cycling shoes.