White jersey winner - go on then...

MattFalle
MattFalle Posts: 11,644
Waddya say? White jersey winner in Paris in a few weeks time.

Stake your reputation below....
The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633
    Pogacar. Who else would it be? No Bernal.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    Very difficult to see beyond Pogacar.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,862

Very difficult to see beyond Pogacar.

Very
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,578
    I assume MF had forgotten he was still (comfortably) in white jersey territory.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Thread complete.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    He could crash out .... Who's number 2 ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,691
    Is white jersey still 25 and under or did it get reduced to 23? Can't remember.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,813
    So far, there's not a lot of competition in any case.
    Pogacar's team mate McNulty, Neilson Powless and Sergio Higuita, Roglic's water boy, Vingegaard (so no chance really) and the one, obvious suspect: David Gaudu.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    I would like to see the White Jersey based on placings just between eligible riders on each stage, rather than on GC time differences. It gets boring when potential overall-GC winners also dominate the White Jersey competition (and also the Mountains jersey competition).

Pogacar may have still won it last year, but with less gap between him and the likes of Martinez, Kämna, and Hirschi, who were well back on time, but would have been much closer if the competition were based just on stage placings between eligible riders.

The Tour organisers have no sense of how to differentiate between different competitions, and how that might also often enliven the stages - which in turn might sometimes enliven the GC competition.
  • Pross
    To be fair, it hasn't been common for riders to win yellow and white. Pogacar and Bernal did it but it hadn't been done for 10 years before Bernal and only 6 riders have done it in 38 years.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross said:

To be fair, it hasn't been common for riders to win yellow and white. Pogacar and Bernal did it but it hadn't been done for 10 years before Bernal and only 6 riders have done it in 38 years.

I'd like it to be for debutants under a certain age. That way someone like Pogacar/Schleck/Ullrich can't win for several years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

I assume MF had forgotten he was still (comfortably) in white jersey territory.

this totally - I am a dunderhead.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    It's a largely meaningless jersey anyway, isn't it?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    jimmyjams said:

I would like to see the White Jersey based on placings just between eligible riders on each stage, rather than on GC time differences. It gets boring when potential overall-GC winners also dominate the White Jersey competition (and also the Mountains jersey competition).

Pogacar may have still won it last year, but with less gap between him and the likes of Martinez, Kämna, and Hirschi, who were well back on time, but would have been much closer if the competition were based just on stage placings between eligible riders.

The Tour organisers have no sense of how to differentiate between different competitions, and how that might also often enliven the stages - which in turn might sometimes enliven the GC competition.

Then it would be the best young riders points Jersey
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Think we're at the beginning of a long dynasty in the Tour GC world.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    phreak said:

Yes pretty much.

Just for fun what jersey might they replace it with that would add something to the race?

Maybe time spent in a break - suppose that could be controversial as to what constitutes a break.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729

phreak said:

Yes pretty much.

Just for fun what jersey might they replace it with that would add something to the race?

Maybe time spent in a break - suppose that could be controversial as to what constitutes a break.
    That's quite easy, when race radio calls it a break.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789

phreak said:

Yes pretty much.

White jersey is for young Tour debutantes only?
    Pogacar would still have got his last year but couldn't repeat it, and must be rare enough. Maybe?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

phreak said:

Yes pretty much.

They do it in the Giro don't they? Break has a maximum size. I'm slightly torn on whether riders should be rewarded just for riding off the front in a doomed break - maybe double the points for any members of the break that get to the finish before the peloton.

I would go with Rich's suggestion of a Virgin jersey but wouldn't have an age limit on it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    To be honest, I don't think it needs fixing. I think we should just accept that if a young rider wins the tour it's pretty exceptional. I mean, I've often heard it mentioned wrt Merckx's clean sweep of the jerseys in 69 that *if* there had been a young riders jersey he'd have won that too.

As for @rick_chasey 's "dynasty".. I suspect we'll see plenty of competition. Bernal is still top class, Remco is a potential huge talent, and Pidcock looks very promising as well. Vingegaard could develop nicely, Sivakov hasn't reached full potential and I don't think Tao has either. That's just off the top of my head, with no idea what sort of jnr talent might be out there in e.g. Colombia, Spain, Italy (I'm going to write off France for the usual reasons ...)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    edited June 2021
    A silver jersey for over 36 would be more fun
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,813
    edited June 2021

That's just as much of a certainty as Pogacar for the white.
    There's a 40 year old Spanish bloke........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

He'd target it too 😂
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    gsk82 said:

He'd target it too 😂
    Still be a better watch . How old is Caruso ?
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Caruso 33
    The Spanish bloke is 41