Clear plastic in the coge

What is the purpose of this clear plastic in the coge? can I remove it?

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Commonly referred to as a “dork disc”. It’s there to stop the chain from being thrown off the cassette into the spokes if the derailleur limit screws are out of adjustment.

Yes you can remove it. Much easier if you take the cassette off first and you generally find the disc is just clipped round a few spokes to hold it on. But it is also generally possible - if rather awkward - to cut and break them off without cassette removal. (Or used to be anyway)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I don't even wait "a bit". They come off, along with the poxy little bell and the front and rear reflectors that EU legislation makes the retailers fit to bikes. So why do they still fit them?

I used a pair of wire clippers, the sort that look like pliers, but with straight and sharp edges. Any cutting tool will do if necessary, just be careful with those craft knives, they are like razors and the blades break easily.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I don't even wait "a bit". They come off, along with the poxy little bell and the front and rear reflectors that EU legislation makes the retailers fit to bikes. So why do they still fit them?

I used a pair of wire clippers, the sort that look like pliers, but with straight and sharp edges. Any cutting tool will do if necessary, just be careful with those craft knives, they are like razors and the blades break easily.

It's UK law
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk