Clip Foot Pain

inkj
inkj Posts: 93
I have a Bizango 29er 2017 16

With Shimano M520 Pedal

And ShimanoM065Blk 44 shoes

I get a pain towards the ball of my right foot.

My right foot is my dominate one.

I only ride about once a week - but usually ride 30 - 50 miles on that day.

I've noticed this pain a couple of times. This time it's felt like it's [very slightly] still there, some 5 days later. I don't feel the pain, but I can feel where it was... or the muscles/tendons [?] in that part of the foot are still repairing themselves a bit. It's almost like I have pins and needles in the area. Except it's nowhere near as bad as real pins and needles.

I'm just a little worried this may get worse....

This is a stupid question... but I have always tried to do up the Velcro on the shoes as tight as possible. I thought I wanted the shoe, stiff and tight fitted as possible.

I'm thinking maybe, I should try my right foot not so tight fitted this week. Is that advisable? And any general tips? I do love the clip in pedal style of riding.

Thanks for any help or info on the subject

x

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Do your shoes fit properly? You don't want them too tight so as to put pressure on your feet. Remember as your feet get warmer they will expand slightly.

Are you using decent insoles? The ones that come with the shoe won't be very good. Are the cleats in the correct place on the shoe? A good starting point for cleat positioning fore/aft is halfway between the joint at the base of the big toe (ball of foot) and joint at the base of the little toe. This places the cleat behind the ball of the foot.

Maybe stiffer shoes would be better? Stiffer shoes are better in general for cycling.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    As above don’t do your shoes too tight across the ball of your foot. You could also google “ cycling hot foot” as it’s quite a common thing.
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    Thanks

No insole.

Is it just a normal insole?

I guess the shoe is placed correctly - as it's only recently I have got this... and I do Velcro them tight - and did notice this time a bit of red, on my foot, where the Velcro strap had been tightly set.

I will check out 'cycling hot foot' - if that's the same thing... it's great to have a name for it. Thanks again
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Check not just the position of the cleat on your shoe sole, but the angle as well. Not everybody has a perfectly aligned body. For example, my left foot is straight, but my right foot is slightly angled outwards. You can't tell by looking at me, but I guess a podiatrist would spot it straight away. If I force my right foot to operate in a straight line it gives me knee pain. We have to work with our bodies, not against them.