HMRC useless dinosaur ?

2»

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I phoned HMRC today and they answered the phone immediately. Lady was very helpful.
    Im currently paying back 2019 child benefit by direct debit as it was after the self assessment deadline when i found out so couldnt pay through tax code.
    My tax code has been altered to take back 2020's child benefit that I owe and also because they can they've adjusted it further so i can pay back this years child benefit before I owe it.
    Perfect. 3 tax years to be paid back in one.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

hopkinb said:

Don't talk to me about CB - when they introduced the cap - I told my wife to cancel it (all in her name, she received it directly into her bank account), she said she would, but didn't, merrily kept claiming it for 5/6 years without telling me, HMRC rumbled it, then I had to pay back £12k including interest (they kindly waived the penalties...). :#

returning it will give your wife NI credits so it is still worth claiming even if you are over the threshold.
    You don't need to receive the cash to get the NI credits, you just need to register the child.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Hang on. What is the CB thereshold?

I thought I was not eligible but perhaps I am...?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707

£60k
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

£60k
    Is it £60k? I thought £50k?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    One or both or either?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,255
    You have to pay some back in tax once you are over 50k, then you pay all of it back once over 60k.

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/what-youll-get
  • rick_chasey

£60k
    Is it £60k? I thought £50k?
    Between £50k and £60k it ratchets down depending on your comp within that range.

Over £60k you get zilch.

• skyblueamateur
    Cool. Thanks. Was under the impression that you lost it all over £50k.
  • rick_chasey

It is a minor faff if you are in that range as they pay it to you in full and then you need to pay them back.

The advice is if you're in that bracket you're better off putting your excess over £50k into your pension and getting the maximum child benefit.
  • skyblueamateur

It is a minor faff if you are in that range as they pay it to you in full and then you need to pay them back.

The advice is if you're in that bracket you're better off putting your excess over £50k into your pension and getting the maximum child benefit.
    Thanks
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    50K is the threshold and it is a sliding scale to 60K where you cannot claim at all.

You need to add on any BIK value. ie Bupa or company car to your earnings. If you’re PAYE they seem to make that very difficult to find out until you fill in a self assessment that you would only know about once you’ve been caught out.

Ie £45000 Gross + (BIK values )£9000 company car + £1000 Bupa = 50% child benefit to be paid back
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    mully79 said:

50K is the threshold and it is a sliding scale to 60K where you cannot claim at all.

You need to add on any BIK value. ie Bupa or company car to your earnings. If you’re PAYE they seem to make that very difficult to find out until you fill in a self assessment that you would only know about once you’ve been caught out.

Ie £45000 Gross + (BIK values )£9000 company car + £1000 Bupa = 50% child benefit to be paid back

That's what caught me out.