Stem, steerer tube and top cap distance

ed1973
ed1973 Posts: 284
Hi
Looking at upgrading my stem to a more aero (but mainly cooler looking) stem. Trouble is most state that it will need a specific spacer underneath due to the shape of the steerer hole. I have at the mo a slammed stem. So if I had to place the (included) 5mm spacer underneath the stem this would raise the distance between my steerer and too of the stem to around 6-7mm. Is this ok or too much. Not a lot of thought on the web about this, hence reaching out to you guys.

Comments

• ed1973
    Sorry typo in the section
    Distance between my steerer and top of the stem to around 6-7mm.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    It depends upon the fork.
  • ed1973
    De Rosa carbon fork
  • darkhairedlord
    Ooh, you might need some steerer sticking out the top. Use a spacer above the stem.
  • ed1973

Ooh, you might need some steerer sticking out the top. Use a spacer above the stem.

I thought the stem needs to be higher than the steerer (top of the fork).
  • darkhairedlord
    It depends upon the fork.
  • ed1973
    When I took it off and had a look I had the stem around 1mm above the top of the fork.
  • ed1973

Your comment got me thinking so had a look on YouTube and realise that carbon forks use a compression thing and not star fangled nut so are very different. Thanks @darkhairedlord for the heads up. So it’s not going to work. So onto plan B with the new stem.