Forum home Road cycling forum Your road bikes

Kinesis R1

I've had this bike just a week and a half now, and it's already become obvious I'm never going to get around to taking the OCP pic, so I might as well crack on with what I have taken ;)



The bike is, as per the title, a Kinesis R1, in XL as I'm 6'4". An ally frame with full carbon fork, and a bottom-of-the-range (but still ok) SRAM 1x groupset, including hydraulic discs. Standard gearing is 44t on the front and 10-42 on the back, 11 speed.
https://kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Racelight/R1-Bike

I swapped the tyres out for 32mm GP5000s before I even put the front wheel on :)

That's the starting pic above, I immediately added some of the basic necessities - computer (Bolt (now "V1"!), bell (Knog Oi! as fashion victim), bottle holders (Cube, on offer), pump, lights (Knog Blinder grids and a Merak bar end), seat pack (Ortlieb - I have a small and large one of these that use the same clip - tools etc in the small one, room to add a waterproof and grub in the larger):







My first spin around my local 10k loop told me that my bum and the saddle were not going to get on, so I tried the Selle San Marco Aspide I have on my old bike (bought for £35 to see if I got on with a cut-out and suddenly 2 hour Zwift sessions were possible) , and that was fine, so I ordered up "supercomfort" version at double the price ;)





Wales goes up and down a lot, so I tracked down a small front ring before I got the bike. There are supposed to be several sizes available from SRAM, but only the 44t it came with seems to actually
exist. Wolftooth make a 42 tooth though, which gives a 1:1 for the nasty hills :)





On the subject of gearing, I'm coming from an old audax bike with a triple on the front, so quite a change. However, the range is very similar (especially as I couldn't really use top gear after changing that from 7 to 8 speed, it didn't like it) and I miss the front triple... not at all!
The SRAM shifting does take a bit of getting used to - not least because my hands keep moving towards my old bar-end shifters - I do tend to under-shift a little finding myself going up one instead of down... and then sometimes I just grin and push the harder gear ;)

I'd like a lot less free movement in the brake levers before they bite, which googling suggests is possible with slightly pressurised bleeding, but it's not important enough to worry about yet.

The bars I find a little thin for my big hands and will double wrap them or maybe bulk out the volume underneath the wrap with some old bartape on the tops and the drops. I want to move the hoods to angle up a little, so I will be re-wrapping soon anyway. In the last pic below, you may see I've rotated the bars a little for now to test the hood angle.

I think that's enough for the 12 days I've had it - I've done comfortably over 100 miles on it now and already had some pretty pictures...













Posts

  • DefbladeDefblade Posts: 67
    Some more miles have brought some more changes, to the front end this time:



    120mm stem, which had slightly bigger clamp and so the original spacers didn't give enough choice... got some Wolftooth bits to match the chainring:



    (along with a little torque wrench to carry about given I'm fiddling with the cockpit a lot, new bar tape, and a waterproof pouch to stop my phone getting sweaty in my pocket!)


    Although the reach was much better, I realised the bars were far too wide for me - I'm lanky but narrow - they are 46cm before the flare, whereas my old bike was 42cm and my shoulders say 40cm. I decided to try going right down to 40cm, also to get something with a bit more girth to hold onto as my hands are long, too.
    The Zipp Service Course 80 seemed to fit the bill well and have a similar drop shape to my old bike.


    Angled the hoods in and up a little and ridden without wrap a few times to get it all adjusted fairly happily.

    I got on with wrapping them this evening. First time I've done this in years, and didn't make it easier for myself as I wanted even more bulk to the top of the bars, and so added a couple of small strips of spare tape to the front each side. This made finishing the wrap tricky as I pretty much needed to stop the wrap where the extra tape ended, so there's a big step down... the compromise is a fair width of insulating tape holding it all down which is not the prettiest, but I'd rather have comfy than pretty (don't tell my wife I said that ;) ). Happy with it overall though, feels lovely.

    Halfway through and then finished below:




Sign In or Register to comment.