Campag cassette or Shimano hub body

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
I have a wheelset with Campagnolo hub body but want to use these with my Shimano equipped bikes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143743109875?hash=item2177c1caf3:g:vbkAAOSwEK9T5IRs

I'm torn do i just buy a Campag 11 speed cassette or try and identify and source a Shimano hub body to swap out?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    11 speed Campag works perfect with 11 speed Shimano so it would be simplest and cheapest option just to buy a Campag 11 cassette..
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Depends, Campag cassettes are generally more expensive than Shimano, a cheap freehub body could make things cheaper in the long run.
  • itboffin
    MattFalle said:

11 speed Campag works perfect with 11 speed Shimano so it would be simplest and cheapest option just to buy a Campag 11 cassette..

Yeah that’s what I’ve been thinking trouble is a el cheap O campag cassette is heavy and my wheelset is super lightweight like 1200g so I’d be turning expensive custom built wheels into generic light wheels which I guess is better than not using them at all
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited June 2021
    How many grammes difference are we talking? Probably less than a hundred? I mean apart from bragging rights down the pub will you ever be able to notice any difference out on the road? And if the weight is all important why not just buy an expensive campag cassette instead of a cheap one?
  • MattFalle
    flasher said:

Depends, Campag cassettes are generally more expensive than Shimano, a cheap freehub body could make things cheaper in the long run.

Nah - Just bought a Miche 11 speed for a Campy hub and that was £30, so the same as 105/Ultegra?

Campy start at £45

And anyhow, how often are you changing cassettes to make a difference? One every 3 years?

Cheap freehub body will cost money to buy, money to fit then break because its cheap.

Campy cassette.
  • MattFalle
    itboffin said:

MattFalle said:

Yeah that’s what I’ve been thinking trouble is a el cheap O campag cassette is heavy and my wheelset is super lightweight like 1200g so I’d be turning expensive custom built wheels into generic light wheels which I guess is better than not using them at all
    Miche/Ambrosio?
  • flasher
    MattFalle said:

flasher said:

Nah - Just bought a Miche 11 speed for a Campy hub and that was £30, so the same as 105/Ultegra?

Campy start at £45

And anyhow, how often are you changing cassettes to make a difference? One every 3 years?

Cheap freehub body will cost money to buy, money to fit then break because its cheap.

Campy cassette.
    Miche isn't Campag, and please could you link me to a 11 speed Campag cassette at £45?
  • itboffin
    flasher said:

MattFalle said:

flasher said:

Campy start at £45

Campy cassette.
    Miche isn't Campag, and please could you link me to a 11 speed Campag cassette at £45?
    Exactly and the miche ones are made of cheese, the only brand of cassette I’ve used and broken multiple teeth on, thankfully not mine

• MattFalle
    made of cheese, eh.

good job no one buys them and they are just a tiny little company.

oh.
  • itboffin
    MattFalle said:

made of cheese, eh.

good job no one buys them and they are just a tiny little company.

oh.

Good ahead buy one and report back when you’re fed up with noisy running and then eventually skipping followed by a broken cassette
  • MattFalle
    I've used them before - they're fine.

perhaps its your bike/set up? bad workman, etc?
  • MattFalle
    In fact I have one on the Pinarello as we speak and bizarrely its running perfectly.

now imagine that.
  • itboffin
    Yeah that’ll be it 🙄
  • MattFalle
    Cool - problem solved then. Good to see its all ended well.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    flasher said:

MattFalle said:

flasher said:

Campy start at £45

Campy cassette.
    you can probably get Centaur for that

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    A quick google indicates that you can not. Unless of course you are going to the shop that MF does not want to tell us about.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    lesfirth said:

A quick google indicates that you can not. Unless of course you are going to the shop that MF does not want to tell us about.

A secret shop? Doesn't that sort of defeat the point of a shop, if it's secret?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    PBK knocking them out for £53. so not far off..
  • MattFalle

PBK knocking them out for £53. so not far off..

this as well as others especially when you chuck in a discount code or two.

its not that difficult this bicycle stuff. stop trying to complicate it.
  • MattFalle
    lesfirth said:

try your local branch of gammon cycles Les.
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2021

1 Google search and 15 seconds of my time.

Veloce, £45 albeit 10 speed, I may spend another 39 seconds of my time finding an 11 speed at the same price. Or I may not. Probably the latter tbh.
  • flasher
    MattFalle said:

Veloce, £45 albeit 10 speed, I may spend another 39 seconds of my time finding an 11 speed at the same price. Or I may not. Probably the latter tbh.

So you now agreeing that you can't find an 11 speed Campag cassette for £45.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Sadly you can't even get 11 speed Shimano for that much any more, currently £51 for an R7000 cassette on Wiggle. I know you can beat that price if you shop around but gone are the days of there being a choice of places you could get one for under £30 delivered.

On the bright side, you can now get a Blue passport.
  • MattFalle
    flasher said:

MattFalle said:

So you now agreeing that you can't find an 11 speed Campag cassette for £45.

no i'm not. its because i can't be bothered as I have a slightly more pressing and, ultimately, impirtant few matters to deal with.

ok, £53 minus a discount code. £45 or nigh on. done

don't be so dramatic about this bicycle stuff.
  • MattFalle
    There you go - albeit £1.56 over budget.

• MattFalle
    its really, really not that difficult.
  • flasher
    MattFalle said:

its really, really not that difficult.

Absolutely, but you are now making it even more difficult bringing Euros into the equation, is that a UK shop or an EU store, is VAT included, is Import duty included, is postage included, these are the questions we need answers to???
  • MattFalle
    i have an answer to your questions.....
  • MattFalle
    lesfirth said:

it seems you doth not google very well.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    53 is close enough from pbk. About the same price as 105, so back on topic, buy the campag cassette for your campag freehub rather than a shimano for same money plus a shimano freehub on top.