Chamois cream

How often should I apply it to bib shorts?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    pblakeney said:

🤣🤣🤣

Don't know what's so funny, I have read that I need to apply to the pad to keep it soft.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you bought your shorts in the 1980’s then after every time you wash them.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    vegas76 said:

pblakeney said:

🤣🤣🤣

Don't know what's so funny, I have read that I need to apply to the pad to keep it soft.
    Do your shorts actually have a chamois? I very much doubt it.
    As said above I had shorts with a chamois in the 80s and you definitely needed cream. Not so for decades now. The said, I use Assos for any 1+ hour ride.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    As above, no need to apply to shorts, you put in on you where chafing is likely to occur, before you start your ride.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Thanks folks. Had read that washing tends to harden the pad and keen to avoid that.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I only ever use it if I know I'm doing a long ride (say 4 hours or more) on a sunny, sweaty day.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Only needed if actually have an area that is rubbing or likely to rub.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    edited June 2021
    I don’t bother to use chamois cream for short rides but I do find it effective for cycle touring, particularly in hot conditions. When I’ve been riding for six hours a day in Southern Europe on multi-week holidays, cream has been good for reducing the risk of little spots turning into full-blown saddle sores. Cream is also handy when I’ve been unable to wash and dry shorts every night due to bad weather and have to ride in damp or unwashed shorts (I do take a spare pair). I like Assos cream. The label says you should “apply directly to skin before each ride and/or onto the insert of shorts when needed for increased protection.”
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited June 2021
    vegas76 said:

Thanks folks. Had read that washing tends to harden the pad and keen to avoid that.

I think you are confusing modern synthetic chamois with the old chamois leather pads of old. Synthetic chamois are basically high density foam or gel combinations and so will not harden after washing like the old leather ones did. Consequently, modern chamois cream is only intended to be applied as a skin lubricant, not as a leather softener.

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I use a very light application of it if I'm going out for more than a couple of hours.

Probably not needed in decent modern shorts but on longer rides I've experimented having none at all & it did make a difference, for me anyway.
  • emanresu
    emanresu Posts: 320
    Like others have said I only use it for long rides, 4h+, and only in summer. I place a wee dram right at the top of my legs where it meets by bottom as that's where I get any chafing which occasionally leads to spots.

I'm currently using chamois butt'r but I'm not particularly fussed with brands.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited June 2021
    in 35 years of taking riding seriously i've used it once, on an Etape.

Did I notice any difference/benefit? Did I buggery.

Save your cash, spend it on tubs, blow n hos.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    MattFalle said:

Did I buggery.

Does it work for that?

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

vegas76 said:

I think you are confusing modern synthetic chamois with the old chamois leather pads of old. Synthetic chamois are basically high density foam or gel combinations and so will not harden after washing like the old leather ones did. Consequently, modern chamois cream is only intended to be applied as a skin lubricant, not as a leather softener.

^^^ this ^^^