Col de Pré via Arêches, French Alpes, Tour de France

Yesterday I rode the Col de Pré on the Arêches side. The col will feature in this year's Tour de France on the 145km Cluses/Tignes stage

As you can see the riders go on to complete the Cormet de Roselend, another 400 meters of climbing over 8km. I didn't do this bit for a number of reasons/ecuses

1. the weather was closing in and it was cold and blowy
2. the Beaufort road was closed needing a bit detour to go down and climb and I didn't know if I had time
3. I'd already been skiing (yes skiing!) on the col that morning and was tired

I'd done the bottom part of the Col de Pré climb last autumn when I cycled over the Cormet d'Arches, a must do climb in the French Alps

http://pistehors.com/9bC7Y3UByuHDGsGAA3FU/cormet-dareches-french-alpes-savoie

It is apparently a back road of the Cormet d'Areches road. Last autumn there was an insane traffic jam of cars and camping cars but yesterday I didn't see a single vehicle. No wonder, it is barely wide enough for a car with no protection if you make an error

It is a very steep road, not Italian standards but hard for France although no doubt the Pros will hardly notice. The col is not the top of the road that goes on to climb another 50 meters uphill for some reason. There is then a descent to a huge concrete dam.

before climbing to the Col de Méraillet where it joins the Beaufort/Cormet de Roselend main road

http://pistehors.com/zs560nkBbNihPQ79oa_S/col-de-pre-via-areches-beaufortain-french-alps
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    inner ring liked it too

Col de Pre

no signs up yesterday to tell you how far to the top. too early I guess.
    Instagramme
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    It's a lovely climb, I cant believe it's 8 years since I rode it, because I remember it quite clearly. Winding steeply up through grass pastures with views down and across the valley, a gentle breeze, and a quiet road (that day in September).

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    We did the Beaufort - Cormet de Roseland climb in the 2019 Etape (the stage the pro's didn't get to do!). It's longer but easier than the Col de Pre route up. I quite fancy the Col de Pre as though steep, it doesn't appear hideously so.

It's lovely riding around the lake and then the last part to the Cormet gives nice views back over the lake. The descent down to Bourg starts with long fast straights and then becomes quite technical. Often a head wind at the top in the afternoons in summer with the hot air rising from the valley.

Photo was from our recce ride on the Friday.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

Pretty certain this is the one.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Nice pics, it is very scenic if you have the energy to look around.
    You can see the road that goes over the cormet des Areches in Graham's picture
    Instagramme