Sealant leaks when squeezing tyre

wayneabs
wayneabs Posts: 63
Hi guys,

Just wanted to check if this was normal or not. Just set up some new Zipp 303s wheels on my bike, these are hookless and I've fitted some schwalbe pro one tubeless easy tyres to them.

Inflated to about 60 psi as per the recommendations but when I squeeze the tyre near the rim a small amount of sealant comes out.

Is this because of the hookless nature of the wheel and normal or have I set something up wrong?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Am no expert here, but...

When I did mine, I pumped up to about 100 psi and there was an audible 'popping' as the tyre seated into the rim. Then deflated the tyre and added the sealant. Then reinflated up to 70 psi (reccomened for my combination).

There was a bit of leakage, but the tyre quickly sealed and topped up with more air to bring it back up to 70psi. Not had a problem since then.

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    edited June 2021
    Another vote for popping the tyre. On initial fitting I popped them then let them down to the required pressure.

Are those tyres recommended for hookless?
    Those are the tyres I fitted to my hooked rims.

I feel hookless specific tyres are quite few and far between.
  • wayneabs
    wayneabs Posts: 63
    Yes I heard the popping when initially pumping the tyres up and went to about 90 psi to seat them correctly.

They look perfectly fine on the wheel, all nice and level all the way round at the rim edge.

The schwalbe tyres are confirmed to be compatible with the 303s wheels so all good there and the PSI is recommended for my weight. The wheel actually says max PSI is only 73 due to the hookless technology.

I want out for a short ride of 20 miles yesterday and all seemed good, although no crazy turns and taking it easy.

So I'll just see how they go, thanks for the help guys.