Alternative to Sidi

2»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,831
    The main issue with this kind of reasoning is the signal to noise ratio.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

Of course... but if you have to buy a pair of shoes and they are the same price and comparable quality, why would you not get the lighter ones?
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect

Of course... but if you have to buy a pair of shoes and they are the same price and comparable quality, why would you not get the lighter ones?
    True. Sidi have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole in recent years. They look nice, but they need to stop bolting useless crap on to their shoes like heel cups, vents that no one closes because they don't let air in, etc. Some boas wouldn't go amiss either.

Mind you, I once had a pair with a tension adjuster in the sole, so perhaps not only in recent years....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I regret not splashing out on the really spenny sidis when I bought mine as they last so well I’ve never needed to buy another pair and the styling isn’t quite what the spenny ones had
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    I think shoe recommendations depend on where/how your foot is 'wide'. Even Sidi mega have a very narrow last, just make up for it with extra upper (which isn't a great method of providing extra space to a wide foot). Bont, Lake, Bontrager and Shimano are all generally considered better for wider fitting feet than Sidi (even the megas). However, given the megas fit you well it may help to work out why.
  • ugo.santalucia

I think shoe recommendations depend on where/how your foot is 'wide'. Even Sidi mega have a very narrow last, just make up for it with extra upper (which isn't a great method of providing extra space to a wide foot). Bont, Lake, Bontrager and Shimano are all generally considered better for wider fitting feet than Sidi (even the megas). However, given the megas fit you well it may help to work out why.

Wide upper, basically duck like... Shimano shoes fit me fine, as long as I go one size up.
    I think the Lake shoes are well beyond my budget

• Lake are regularly on sale at sportpursuit with a decent discount.
  • ugo.santalucia

Lake are regularly on sale at sportpursuit with a decent discount.

but even so... :o
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Buy a strip of double sided velcro, bolt the cleates to this, then wrap around your foot.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120

Wide upper, basically duck like... Shimano shoes fit me fine, as long as I go one size up.

Like me, then. My biggest problem with my Northwave shoes is not width at the front, rather the heel being too loose (I have narrow heels...FFS)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065
    secretsam said:

Like me, then. My biggest problem with my Northwave shoes is not width at the front, rather the heel being too loose (I have narrow heels...FFS)
    Upper end Sidis have adjustment at the heel.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

Yes, but it is utterly useless (and the additional weight costs at least 2W).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065

pblakeney said:

secretsam said:

Yes, but it is utterly useless (and the additional weight costs at least 2W).
    Helped me following an Achilles Tendon injury resulting in a lump on my heel. My shoes are set up completely different to each other. Doubt I'd notice even 20W given my weight. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    just go the shoe shop or Amazon and get some half insoles if thats the sole issue.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.