yes, yes!

Finally, something against this boring disc trend... looks awesome

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/preffisio/
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    It's actual reasonable money too, relative to the absolutely mental prices around at the moment.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It’s basically a proper bike.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    edited May 2021
    Are they not selling as a frameset?

I fundamentally disagree with buying a winter bike - it is a truth universally acknowledged that a winter bike should consist of bits and pieces harvested from parts bins, old bikes, skips, mates' old bikes, bottoms of canals and hedgerows :/
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    Good old Preffesio. Built this but my 15 year old daughter nicked it.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    jpj84 said:

I fundamentally disagree with buying a winter bike - it is a truth universally acknowledged that a winter bike should consist of bits and pieces harvested from parts bins, old bikes, skips, mates' old bikes, bottoms of canals and hedgerows :/

rubbish.

a winter bike is whatever ypu have/want it to be.

my S3 and Prince are my winter bikes - I just clean and maintaon them properly.

I'm too old, too fast, too good looking and too cycling time poor to ride junk.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    MattFalle said:

jpj84 said:

rubbish.

I’m hazarding a guess that he was having a little joke. The part about canals and hedgerows was the give-away.

What is the Prince that you referred to? Is it a Pinarello Prince and if so, what’s it like because they’ve caught my true. TIA.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    They do sell it as a frameset, £ 299
  • ugo.santalucia
    threaded BB shell, straight 1 and 1/8 fork steerer and external cable routing, basically a dream frameset to build, with none of that modern nonsense...

I'd buy one now... if I didn't already have a Prefissio to build up, that I got as a bargain on Ebay a few months back

I hope it's not a fling that they stop next year... it'd be nice if they kept doing it, so that there will always be a back up option if you don't want to get sucked in the millionaires club
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Hopefully other manufacturers will follow, disc brakes on road bikes to me are just a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist aka marketing.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    A proper bike at last. B)
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2021

MattFalle said:

jpj84 said:

rubbish.

I’m hazarding a guess that he was having a little joke. The part about canals and hedgerows was the give-away.

What is the Prince that you referred to? Is it a Pinarello Prince and if so, what’s it like because they’ve caught my true. TIA.

I think the hedge bit was the only part that was meant to be "humerous". Everything else was deadset serious we believe.

Yes, it is a Prince. 2001 job as displayed in these hallowed pages before. They be frickin'lovely, see.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

jpj84 said:

rubbish.

I think the hedge bit was the only part that was meant to be "humerous". Everything else was deadset serious we believe.

Yes, it is a Prince. 2001 job as displayed in these hallowed pages before. They be frickin'lovely, see.
    Only a matter of time now before you get a fatigue crack somewhere on that frame. I had a direct copy, built by the same welder who worked for Pinarello, from the same tubes. Old now extinct Canadian Italian brand. Anyhow, is now an ornament.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    From the website:

How much does the Preffisio weigh?
    This 7005 triple butted aluminium frame weighs approximately .kg on a 54cm frame/Fork

Err ok
  • ugo.santalucia

From the website:

How much does the Preffisio weigh?
    This 7005 triple butted aluminium frame weighs approximately .kg on a 54cm frame/Fork

Err ok
    Yeah... most manufacturers lie anyway. You can assume that a 54 will be 1.7 kg + fork... the fork in question is 560 grams.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    Looks like they've tweeked the Preffisio design. The rear brake bridge and forks on my older model are too low for 28-30mm tyres which always bugged me for a winter bike. Also with a rear mudguard it wouldn't leave enough clearance for 25mm tyres- had adapt mine by splitting the mudguard and adding stainless brackets. Tough old frame though.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

jpj84 said:

rubbish.

Only a matter of time now before you get a fatigue crack somewhere on that frame. I had a direct copy, built by the same welder who worked for Pinarello, from the same tubes. Old now extinct Canadian Italian brand. Anyhow, is now an ornament.
    Don't care. Am going to use it and enjoy it and if/when it breaks it'll look pretty.

Anyhow, its mega and yours was obviouslyshit, so mine will last forever.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I recently built up a Ridley (pretty similar design to above frame) and that does as my winter bike. Frameset was £249 then used most of the bits off my crashed 531.
    Very similar to above, 57mm calipers needed, will only take 25mm tyres if you fit mudguards.
    Came equipped for winter bike building with eyelets etc.
    Thoroughly pleased with it. There are some "normal" bikes out there you just need to find them!
  • ugo.santalucia
    womack said:

I recently built up a Ridley (pretty similar design to above frame) and that does as my winter bike. Frameset was £249 then used most of the bits off my crashed 531.
    Very similar to above, 57mm calipers needed, will only take 25mm tyres if you fit mudguards.
    Thoroughly pleased with it. There are some "normal" bikes out there you just need to find them!

Don't you find it odd that the industry keeps churning out gravel bikes, when nobody I know has a decent stretch of gravel road within cycling distance, but refuses to come out with bikes that people would actually enjoy riding?
  • First.Aspect

womack said:

Don't you find it odd that the industry keeps churning out gravel bikes, when nobody I know has a decent stretch of gravel road within cycling distance, but refuses to come out with bikes that people would actually enjoy riding?
    It is very popular in the US, Ugo, and there are 5 times as many Americans as us.
  • MattFalle
    and people actually enjoy riding their bikes Ugo - we're not all into mudguards, panniers and sensible.

if i wanted sensible i'd buy a cardigan.

people want dull stuff like yours? cool, let them.

they want gravel? cool, let them.

they want a carbon penny farthing with EPS? cool, let them.

so long as they are out doing it thats the main thing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

and people actually enjoy riding their bikes Ugo - we're not all into mudguards, panniers and sensible.

I'm not sure the market is doing what people want... it seems to me they try to get people to buy what they want to produce (which might be more profitable). I know people who bought gravel bikes out of impulse, but they never really rode them as such. They used the canal path twice, claimed it was great and then went back to riding on roads and forgot about the gravel bike.

BTW... the above is not necessarily a mudguards bike... it's a bike that suits someone who enjoys mechanical work, without having to spend thousands on tools
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

MattFalle said:

I'm not sure the market is doing what people want... it seems to me they try to get people to buy what they want to produce (which might be more profitable). I know people who bought gravel bikes out of impulse, but they never really rode them as such. They used the canal path twice, claimed it was great and then went back to riding on roads and forgot about the gravel bike.

BTW... the above is not necessarily a mudguards bike... it's a bike that suits someone who enjoys mechanical work, without having to spend thousands on tools
    I'm with you, for me personally there is no attraction in a gravel bike. I ride 99.9% of my time on roads so a road bike is for me.

Agree also about cost effectiveness, I built the Ridley with the old Sora triple set up from the donor bike and it suits me down to the ground, 8 speed stuff appears a lot cheaper to replace when bits are needed.

I was looking at replacing the cassette on my other bike (11 speed Ultegra) and the price was frightening!! It can last another year!
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

womack said:

100% this.

I did quite fancy a gravel bike as something different to road but then I genuinely would have no clue where to ride the thing & TBH can't be bothered working it out either.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I find it's mainly cycle trails - old railway lines that sort of thing. Agree it is a bit limited - maybe there are areas with more trails than there are round here.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia

I find it's mainly cycle trails - old railway lines that sort of thing. Agree it is a bit limited - maybe there are areas with more trails than there are round here.

Yes, those lovely areas where nobody lives in the Highlands and in Wales... majority of potential customers with pockets deep enough to spend 3 grand on a gravel bike live in areas where they can't use one... and that is probably true in the US too...
  • MattFalle
    so an expert of the economics of demographics as well....
  • MattFalle
    its a thang, as they say. stop trying to impose your boringness on people who something a bit different.

they work

its their money

let them spend it how they want

not everyone wants a boring Dolan.
  • First.Aspect

Yes, those lovely areas where nobody lives in the Highlands and in Wales... majority of potential customers with pockets deep enough to spend 3 grand on a gravel bike live in areas where they can't use one... and that is probably true in the US too...
    It really isn't true in the US.

Also, gravel bikes are good for the single track stuff that mountain bikers no longer find challenging enough.
  • MattFalle
    they're also perfect for trail leading and cutting around rural areas on the way to work.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

majority of potential customers with pockets deep enough to spend 3 grand on a gravel bike live in areas where they can't use one..

Really?

You’ll obviously have some data / statistics to back that up?