Specialized Shoes My Review - S-Works 7 v Torch 3.0

Hi,
In case anyone is interested in these shoes or the comparison of them, I'd thought I'd write my review.
S-works 7
I owned the previous S-works 5 shoes and wore them for around 5 years (25000 miles) and found them fantastic - comfortable, durable and stiff. The only downside was the boa dials, as I went through two pairs of them as they kept slipping. Unfortunately the shoes eventually wore out and last year I ended up buying a pair of S-Works 7 shoes in the Cycle Surgery closing down sale.

1. To start with I think they look fantastic, probably the best looking shoe on the market. I have always worn Specialized shoes so I know the fit will be ok for me. Hence buying online was not a problem for sizing. I also bought the BG fit insoles as per a bike fitting recommendation a while ago.
2. I must admit that it took a good few weeks for these shoes to soften up. They did dig into my left ankle for at least 2 months before they started to feel comfortable. Not what I was expecting and nothing like the S-Works 5 beforehand which were comfortable straight away.
3. However, ever since I have been loving the shoes, they are very stiff, fit well and you can tighten them up enough without pain. Also they clean up very easily with the Dyneema material.
4. You probably want to keep these for summer riding only, I have ridden them in the wet before and it makes you want to cry!
5. I also think that Specialized have lost the plot with pricing, £360 is a ridiculous amount to pay for these shoes. Like I said I got them new in the sale so this was acceptable.

Specialized Torch 3.0
I bought these recently as my commuter/ winter option in black. I didn't want to ruin my white S-Works shoes! Boy was I glad I bough them as we've had rain for 4 weeks now!
However, my feedback is not great.
Pros.
1. Easy to clean material
2. Replaceable heel
3. Two boas aids adjustment.
4. Possibly more of a comfort option than S-Works for longer rides.

Cons.
2. The boa dials feel like they are about to break any second and feel cheap. Nothing like the quality of S-Works.
3. The tongue is very thick and inhibits you tightening the boas too much as they become uncomfortable. So you end up loosening the dial, but then the shoes don't feel tight enough especially for sprints.
4. Positioning of the cleat holes in the sole. They move you foot closer to the crank arms as even with the cleats adjusted to the maximum, the S-Works has more clearance from the crank. This has caused my a bit of knee pain.
5. They aren't that stiff when you're used to S-Works shoes.
6. They are massively overpriced for what they are I'm afraid. Even in the sale at the moment, I think they should be closer to £130 shoes. Specialized have lost the plot, but I suppose people are still buying them.
7. The velcro tab at the toe end of the shoe looks like it's curling up already after about 300 miles.

All in all, I would not recommend the Torch 3.0 shoes at the moment. Maybe they will get more comfortable in time as the S-Works did. Would I recommend the S-Works? Not at full price no. But if you can pick up a nearly new pair at under £200 then yes do it.

Sorry for the rambling, I do hope this helps you, any questions, please ask?

Comments

• I would like to know if you found the torch3 a little longer i ie more space at the end of the toes and if the specialized S-works7 was good on hot summer days. i would also appreciate knowing what your foot width and length is and what size you take. is the S-works 7 a little wider in the mid foot ( Ball of foot?? thanks
  • sorry wider than the SWorks 5 which i think was narrower