Handlebar Choice Help

I'm on the lookout for a new set of handlebars for my best bike (Giant TCR) as I've never been truly happy with them. The tops are fine but it's the drops I don't like.

Bit difficult to describe but I like the last portion of the drops to be longer if that makes sense & I find the drops on the TCR are too short. Maybe not as rounded as some? When I'm on the drops I tend to hold them right at the end or a little further up & I'm just not comfortable on the TCR bars doing this.

These are what I have in a 42cm on my winter bike & the drops are perfect, exactly what I'm looking for:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gear/components/handlebars-and-stems/handlebars/canyon-h17-ergo-al-handlebar/9100883.html

I'd love some aero bars with the flat on the tops (for no other reason than aesthetics) & as it's my best bike I can push the boat out a little cost wise but again I don't want to lash out a load of cash & find I don't the like the shape of the drops. I don't really want to add a load of weight either if I can help it.

When I'm shopping around for a new set if I'm honest I'm not really sure what I should be looking for in terms of the length & particularly the shape of the drops similar to the Canyon so I'd appreciate any help.

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Yeah I have actually looked at those as quite a few people have them on here & seem to rate them.

I was thinking of sending for them as CRC / Wiggle do free returns to see what I thought of them.

The curve of the drops looks good but I'm not sure if I like the look of tops. They look a bit big.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    As in generally or in a particular dimension?
  • ibr17xvii

As in generally or in a particular dimension?

The flats on the top look quite wide?

Not sure if that's just the way they are or if it's this particular model.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,174
    ibr17xvii said:

I was thinking of sending for them as CRC / Wiggle do free returns to see what I thought of them.

Is this still true? thought they had stopped that unless you pay for premium (next day del £10 per year)
  • ibr17xvii
    Mad_Malx said:

ibr17xvii said:

Is this still true? thought they had stopped that unless you pay for premium (next day del £10 per year)

Still free if you return with Asda ToYou.

Everything else you pay for I think.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    the tops are quite large compared to superzero.

may have a piccie here - let me check otherwise I can do one later with a ruler balanced on top for measurement if you want?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited May 2021
    I bought a pair of the 38mm Primaveras ~2 months ago, but through a combination of procrastination and not needing to battle aero drag on the turbo as the weather has been so **** since early March, I've not fitted them yet to replace the ~2cm wider bars that came on my Cube.

The deepest front to rear part of the tops, just to the side of the stem clamp zone, is ~5cm and then tapers to the bend to the hoods.

Incredibly light, ~220g on our kitchen scales.

Think the v2 version that has come out since officially supports aero bar fitting, not so sure with my v1 set.

Not sure the tape in the bundle is worth £20, but ironically that's all they had in stock when I ordered, I'd just get the bar for £149.99 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-primavera-aero-carbon-handlebar/rp-prod199190 and then add something useful to get over the £150 threshold to then use the £10 (formerly 10% in a galaxy far, far away) British Cycling discount.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • If it helps the Canyon H17 bars are effectively the same as the Ritchey WCS Evocurve and I have one or the other on all my bikes now and like the feel.

Here are specs which may help with searching for similar with the flat top:
    • Drop: 128mm
    • Reach: 83mm
    • Drop flare: 0°
    • Flare out: 2°
    • Backsweep: 5°

• MattFalle
    Primes, both carbon and ali versions, are very recommended from the MFs.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

may have a piccie here - let me check otherwise I can do one later with a ruler balanced on top for measurement if you want?

That would be just the ticket if you don't mind when you get time.
  • ibr17xvii

If it helps the Canyon H17 bars are effectively the same as the Ritchey WCS Evocurve and I have one or the other on all my bikes now and like the feel.

Thanks for that, really useful.

I really like the shape of the Canyons, if I could get something similar but with the flat tops I would be made up.
  • ibr17xvii

I bought a pair of the 38mm Primaveras ~2 months ago, but through a combination of procrastination and not needing to battle aero drag on the turbo as the weather has been so **** since early March, I've not fitted them yet to replace the ~2cm wider bars that came on my Cube.

The deepest front to rear part of the tops, just to the side of the stem clamp zone, is ~5cm and then tapers to the bend to the hoods.

Think the v2 version that has come out since officially supports aero bar fitting, not so sure with my v1 set.

Not sure the tape in the bundle is worth £20, but ironically that's all they had in stock when I ordered, I'd just get the bar for £149.99 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-primavera-aero-carbon-handlebar/rp-prod199190 and then add something useful to get over the £150 threshold to then use the £10 (formerly 10% in a galaxy far, far away) British Cycling discount.

In terms of price to weight I don't think you can beat them. I'm tempted to order a set of the cheaper alloy version & stick them on my winter bike instead of the Canyon H17 to see how I get on with them.

As you say I've barely been out on my best bike & we're nearly at the end of May so I've not really looked until now.
  • MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

That would be just the ticket if you don't mind when you get time.
    pleasure dude! probs be about 5.
  • MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

In terms of price to weight I don't think you can beat them. I'm tempted to order a set of the cheaper alloy version & stick them on my winter bike instead of the Canyon H17 to see how I get on with them.

As you say I've barely been out on my best bike & we're nearly at the end of May so I've not really looked until now.
    price, weight and the fact they look mega.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

price, weight and the fact they look mega.

As I said in the OP, aero bars are purely for aesthetics. I just like the look of them full stop.

At £50 for the alloy version they are worth a punt to see how I get on with them. Not particulalrly arsed about weight on the winter bike.
  • MattFalle

• MattFalle
    the carbons are lush, the alloy really nice but the finish scratches very, very easily, as in lean the bike against a wall gently and its scratched.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

They are quite wide aren't they? They still look proper cool though especially considering the price. Was having a Google today & some of the carbon aero bars from the big brands are stupid money.

Thanks for the pics, top man, appreciate it.
  • MattFalle
    Mo worries dude - pleasure to help.

Yup - agree that they are wide - I have smaller hands and yes, on the tops they are a tad weird, but I tend to ride either on the hoods or with my forearms dangling over the front ready too crash at a moment's notice so don't really use the tops much.

Something like a superzero is maybe half the size.

they do look the dog's danglies though.
  • ibr17xvii
    If the Suoerzeros are about half the size that’s quite a big difference although I don’t ride on the tops much so probably not that important.

Think I will order a pair to take a look in the flesh.

Thanks again for the help.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

If it helps the Canyon H17 bars are effectively the same as the Ritchey WCS Evocurve and I have one or the other on all my bikes now and like the feel.

Tangential but I would say that I have the Ritchey WCS Evocurve on my bike and it is very comfortable, especially in the drops.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Bit of a risk if you can't comfortably ride on the tops?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    what is one man's couch is another man's fish.

how much time do you spend on the tops anyway?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    I use them enough that I'd want them to be comfortable.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    I have both Superzeros and Primes on different bikes.

If you want to rest your arms on the bars in a now banned style, Primes are way more comfortable. If you want to grip onto the tops then whilst there are still positions where it tapers enough to do so on the Primes, Superzeros are a much better option.

Internal cable routing is miles better on the Primes, really couldn't get any easier and compatible with ACR stems if you really want to hide all cables.

The tight angle of the curve of the drops on the Superzeros is annoying because it forces you to fit the shifters in a specific position, which results in the shifters being lower than I would like.

If I were to get another set - it would be Primes every time.
  • ibr17xvii

I have both Superzeros and Primes on different bikes.

If you want to rest your arms on the bars in a now banned style, Primes are way more comfortable. If you want to grip onto the tops then whilst there are still positions where it tapers enough to do so on the Primes, Superzeros are a much better option.

Internal cable routing is miles better on the Primes, really couldn't get any easier and compatible with ACR stems if you really want to hide all cables.

The tight angle of the curve of the drops on the Superzeros is annoying because it forces you to fit the shifters in a specific position, which results in the shifters being lower than I would like.

If I were to get another set - it would be Primes every time.

Interesting. Pros & cons to each.

Never rest my arms on the bars as I don't trust UK roads so Superzeros win out on that score & looking at pics online they aren't as wide either which I prefer.

However I have read plenty of reviews who like you say the shifter positioning can be a faff depending on how you like them.
  • MattFalle
    exactly as above and i must admit to have fotten about it - superzeros do limit the shifter positioning massively and place them lower than you would normally have.

they also don't look very cool and are heavy - they are a bit tubby tbh. The Fat Amy of the gandlebar world.

Primes are much, much nicer.

Now, the Superzero stem is lush.
  • MattFalle
    only piccies i have of the ali Primes to hand

• ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

only piccies i have of the ali Primes to hand

They do look cool particulalrly when you consider price.