Titanium rim brake frame

Hi all, long time since I’ve used this forum but here goes.

I think my genesis equilibrium may be nearing the end of its life, the bb is in a bad way from living outside etc.

I’d really like to replace the frame with something Ti. I remember a few years back Merlin had great deals on well priced Ti frames from Lynskey (R150 etc) but I don’t seem to be able to find much these days except perhaps a Planet X spitfire.

Anyone else know of any good sources that I’m missing?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    Fender mounts?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Planet X Spitfire for a budget option?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    shortfall said:
    Hadn’t heard of these, they look nice but a little more than I can spend. I know, I want the world for a quid lol.
    pblakeney said:

Fender mounts?

Nah, not need. In fact, I’d prefer something with regular calliper drops rather than the equilibriums long drop.
    elbowloh said:

This is the best option I’ve seen so far, but it says 25mm max tire width which would be a bit annoying.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Fender mounts?

Nah, not need. In fact, I’d prefer something with regular calliper drops rather than the equilibriums long drop.
    I was more confused by a British company offering fender mounts.
    Very much an American phrase.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

shortfall said:
    Hadn’t heard of these, they look nice but a little more than I can spend. I know, I want the world for a quid lol.
    pblakeney said:

Fender mounts?

elbowloh said:

This is the best option I’ve seen so far, but it says 25mm max tire width which would be a bit annoying.
    Why would you need fat tyres on a titanium framed bike. The one of the main points of titanium is that it is a comfortable ride.
  • elbowloh
    Have you looked at Ribble?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    edited May 2021
    Ignore.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • housemunkey
    webboo said:

Why would you need fat tyres on a titanium framed bike. The one of the main points of titanium is that it is a comfortable ride.

Clearance for 28mm tires is pretty much the norm these days and they are just better overall. Not looking for any more than that.

• housemunkey
    elbowloh said:

Have you looked at Ribble?

Their Endurance Ti is very good value but is disc only.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

Clearance for 28mm tires is pretty much the norm these days and they are just better overall. Not looking for any more than that.

How can you tell. I had conti 4000’s 25s then I bought some 5000’s 25s which are about 2mm smaller I cannot tell any difference between the two in terms of ride comfort.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

webboo said:

just better overall?

please explain.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021
    25s are so last year for the road.
    Unless you are listening to the chat on the Giro where they are going back to 25s.
    25s are so next year. 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Spa cycles audax and some others in Ti
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

Unless you are listening to the chat on the Giro where they are going back to 25s.

but what about 23s?

does this mean I have to lob all of mine in the bin?
  • housemunkey
    In my opinion 28s are just smoother, which results in being faster out on real roads.

Anyway I don’t want to get drawn into a tire width debate because there will be lots of people who disagree and that’s fine, you do you.
    Mad_Malx said:

Spa cycles audax and some others in Ti

I had a look at these but the geo looked very touring/relaxed even compared to my equilibrium. Anyone out there able to cast some light on this?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Passoni top force
  • pblakeney
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

but what about 23s?

does this mean I have to lob all of mine in the bin?
    You are just waaaayyyyy ahead of the game.
    Give it time. Skinny rims and tyres must save 25g rolling mass. 2W marginal gain.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Spa cycles are producing Sabbath Ti Frames and last time I looked they were very good value.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    magoo289 said:

Passoni top force

^This
    They are very, very expensive. Also, you can't see the weld quality because they grind them down.

And if you can afford one you can afford pretty much any custom Ti frame on the planet.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Reilly T325?
  • housemunkey
    Upon closer inspection of the Spa Cycles/Sabbath frames I’m going to give Spa a call and discuss options. They look the best bet by far in value terms.

Cheers guys
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Why not go 2nd hand? One great thing about unpainted Ti is that a 10 yo frame with thousands and thousands of miles will effectively look and perform as if it was brand new after a rub down with a scouring pad and a bit of baby oil..

I'd avoid anything older than 15 years as it probably won't have oversized tubing etc., but there are bargains to be had out there.

I sold my 2007 Enigma Ti frame about 5 years ago to a bloke I still follow on Strava and it's still going strong and looking bang up-to-date with full Ultegra and deep section carbon hoops.. He seems to ride it in preference to his carbon bike!

Who was it that said that there's something almost creepy about the way that Ti never ages..?

Oh, you might not get clearance for 28mm tyres though, but they're slower.. ;-)
  • housemunkey
    neeb said:

I think you and I might get along.

I did see a kenesis gf-ti on eBay for £500/£600, so they’re out there aren’t they. I’ll keep my eyes peeled 👍🏻.
  • MattFalle
    Is the Dolan stuff rim or just disc?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    https://store.pedalrevolution.co.uk/bike-frames/titanium

Pedal Revolution now incorporate FatBird who did a lot of Ti bikes. I got my Lynskey from them (FatBird)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    navrig2 said:

https://store.pedalrevolution.co.uk/bike-frames/titanium

Pedal Revolution now incorporate FatBird who did a lot of Ti bikes. I got my Lynskey from them (FatBird)

Me too. That Enigma Evade they are selling looks good value to me.
  • neeb said:

Why not go 2nd hand? One great thing about unpainted Ti is that a 10 yo frame with thousands and thousands of miles will effectively look and perform as if it was brand new after a rub down with a scouring pad and a bit of baby oil..

I'd avoid anything older than 15 years as it probably won't have oversized tubing etc., but there are bargains to be had out there.

I sold my 2007 Enigma Ti frame about 5 years ago to a bloke I still follow on Strava and it's still going strong and looking bang up-to-date with full Ultegra and deep section carbon hoops.. He seems to ride it in preference to his carbon bike!

Who was it that said that there's something almost creepy about the way that Ti never ages..?

I'd agree with the 'pre-loved' option...........plenty on fleabay I'd reckon?