WTO 33 Front Hub Noise

Front hub making clicking noise that would normally be associated with Campag rear hub freewheeling. It's faint but it's there, does it on the bike stand also. Wheels are only about 1 month old, believe the sound is new, maybe I missed it earlier though. Can't 'unhear' it now, riding partner can't hear it riding so it's not obnoxiously loud.

Just wondering if it's normal. Being that it's the front hub it's constant.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Worth putting some tape around the valve stem to check it's not coming from there.
    left the forum March 2023
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    Wot he said above.
    Also, have you taken the wheel off the fork and rotated the bearings between your fingers to check for any roughness or notchiness? I wouldn't expect any from a brand new set of wheels but if it is then send them back! Also give it a good shake to see if anything like a dropped spoke nipple is in the rim.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Is it definitely the hub, could be a "clicking spoke" A little three in one on each nipple cured this on my wheels. I did it with tyre still on from the spoke side.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Worth putting some tape around the valve stem to check it's not coming from there.

I (well, not me, but another forum member) replaced my front hub bearings and headset bearings, before I finally realised that this was my problem. At least the headset bearings did need replacing, unlike the front hub ones.

• steph79
    steph79 Posts: 21
    Well, took the front wheel off and spun it. Both smooth and quiet. Put it back on the bike, noise is there.

Pretty sure it's not the hub, sound is more from top of fork. Almost positive it's just the rubber things that stick out of new tires slapping the fork on the way by. 28mm pushing the limits of what can fit there I guess.

I don't know why I didn't notice anything the first few weeks because that would have been there from the beginning obviously. I swear I'm normally a little quicker on the up take (not much though).

Thanks for the input everyone.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Shave the bits off your tyre, surprised you can hear them though.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I bought some new wheels as I thought the front wheel was kn@ckered due a clicking sound. It turned out to be the computer magnet on the spoke hitting the mudguard stay.
  • steph79
    steph79 Posts: 21
    The whole rig is new, first time with carbon anything now it's all carbon, little paranoid probably. Noticed noise after a bit of a bump so that didn't help. Couldn't 'un-hear' it after. I'll be cutting the little pieces off before the next ride. It's loud enough though.