IRC Formula Pro RBCC and XGuard users

Hi Folks,
I am so, so pleased with my IRC Formula Pro RBCC's. I'm wondering if anyone has experience of the XGuard version as well and can thus compare the two. I know in principle XGuard should be better at resisting punctures although it may ride a bit slower, but what I really want to know is how noticeable this is in the real world. Apart from the puncture belt these tyres are identical.

I guess what's on my mind is whether a puncture belt version is worse than pointless compared to the otherwise identical tubeless tyre which - will self seal anyway?

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    smethley said:

Hi Folks,
    I am so, so pleased with my IRC Formula Pro RBCC's. I'm wondering if anyone has experience of the XGuard version as well and can thus compare the two. I know in principle XGuard should be better at resisting punctures although it may ride a bit slower, but what I really want to know is how noticeable this is in the real world. Apart from the puncture belt these tyres are identical.

I guess what's on my mind is whether a puncture belt version is worse than pointless compared to the otherwise identical tubeless tyre which - will self seal anyway?

I think it very much depends on what roads you ride on, how many miles you do before replacing your tyres, and the intended use. I have used the RBCC Formula Pros and they've been excellent for me - astonishing grip but without premature wear and being tubeless, on the rare occasions they've punctured they've self sealed or been ok with a plug. I know that Cycle Clinic (who imports these tyres) when he used to post on here reported a lot of punctures, but he does huge mileages and is in an area with a lot of flint on the roads which seems to absolutely shred tyres. I wouldn't bother with the X guards personally but they might be the right choice for other people.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    I ride XGuard 28s tubeless on my road bike. Can't cross compare as don't know the other ones. But, so far, 3 years, I have never had a puncture / sealed leak, fingers crossed 🤞. Once had a slow but that was due to a sticky valve not closed properly.