Buying Chainrings from USA via 'Bay

Hi, anyone had experience of the above? Can't get a FSA Omega/Vero Pro Road Double Chainring - 48t, 120 BCD in this country for love nor money, and when they are in stock they are stupidly expensive.

My chain has been dropping recently. It's the 3rd chain on this chainset now and the chain is relatively new. Dropped off both large and little rings. Checked derailleur for limits and all seems fine. Chain is clean and lubed. I can only think the rings are getting a bit worn.

The checkout on the 'bay advises £11 customs/import duty. Are these figures accurate? Don't want to be stung for any extra.

Whaddya thunk?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    By no means an expert in bike mechanics but I would be seriously miffed at lashing out for new chainrings every 3 chains.
    Out of curiosity, bow long do your cassettes last?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    Bike has done around 6k miles according to Strava. Probably 6.5k as I commute on it and sometimes forget to record.

Same cassette. I keep everything very clean and the teeth look in good shape.

• ballysmate
    Drive train tends to wear in this order.
    Chain
    Cassette
    Chainrings.

Think the rule of thumb is 3 chains to 1 cassette and I believe 3 cassettes to chainrings.
    This rule of thumb may be bollocks but chainrings should be the last to wear.
  • photonic69

Drive train tends to wear in this order.
    Chain
    Cassette
    Chainrings.

Think the rule of thumb is 3 chains to 1 cassette and I believe 3 cassettes to chainrings.
    This rule of thumb may be bollocks but chainrings should be the last to wear.

That was my understanding too. However having had two chain drops in one ride is not right when it very rarely happens to me. Derailleur set right and true. On one of the drops I noticed that the chain was sucked up the wrong side of the chainring as if the chain was clinging to it. Chain was freshly cleaned and lubed last week so hence me thinking the chain rings being worn?

• ballysmate
    edited May 2021
    Last year I had my gear cables replaced and consequently everything indexed perfectly. The following week, I got around to replacing the chain (Ultegra 11 speed) and went out for a ride. Drivetrain was clattering away. Called back in the shop, he put it on the stand and checked the indexing - perfect.
    I went back out and clattering returned. Back into the shop and mechanic goes around the block and sure enough, it is noisy. He diagnoses chain suck, potentially worn chain rings. But when he looks, he sees they are fine and suggests trying a new chain as it would be cheaper than new rings.
    Fitted a new cheap 20 quid Sram chain and it was perfect.

Edit Only played up under load.

Second edit. Yes the chain was installed in the right direction.
  • photonic69
    Thanks Ballysmate. Might give it a try. It's about time I got my chain measuring tool out again anyway.

On a side note and back to the main questions - buying stuff from USA from 'Bay sellers and Import duties etc. Anyone with experience? These particular chainrings are much cheaper in the US then any I found here.

• photonic69
    A few pics to show wear. Are these worn enough to replace?

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Maybe on the outer ring? They do look a little stumpy and rounded vs the inner ring.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

The checkout on the 'bay advises £11 customs/import duty. Are these figures accurate? Don't want to be stung for any extra.

It is easy to work out the potential import taxes.

This page tells you how: https://gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,147
    If I were you, I would change the entire chainset.

FSA Omega is bottom of the range stuff. You should be able to get a complete replacement of equivalent quality for £50 and when you do, it will have a normal BCD of 110 or 130 so replacing chainrings will be cheap.
  • photonic69

If I were you, I would change the entire chainset.

FSA Omega is bottom of the range stuff. You should be able to get a complete replacement of equivalent quality for £50 and when you do, it will have a normal BCD of 110 or 130 so replacing chainrings will be cheap.

Hi Super_Davo I would but the crabkset is FSA BB386EVO so I guess the spindle diameter is different from Shimano as well as length? I do have a Wheels Manufacturing BB. Would it be the case of changing the bearings in the BB to suit a Shimano crank and would it be long enough?

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,147
    This article is helpful on what should and shouldn't fit:

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/the-complete-guide-to-bottom-bracket-standards/

On the BB386 section it says you should be able to fit some BB30 cranksets or standard Hollowtech II with an adaptor. Question is whether your frame is BB386 or just the crankset - if just the latter which would open things out a lot.

If the whole working out what your frame is and finding what it takes is a bit complicated, then just chuck BB386 crankset in the Bay and see what pops up e.g.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284296149132?hash=item42315ef88c:g:0KMAAOSwmXBgoQGS
    or
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203456695652?hash=item2f5ef6cd64:g:T0EAAOSwrLNgTjw1

Well inside my £50 guesstimate at time of bidding and FSA stuff doesn't fetch as much as Shimano in general, so you should be able to get a good price.