Spacer for 10 speed cassette on 11 speed freehub

Kaiser Sose
Kaiser Sose Posts: 90
edited May 2021 in Workshop
Hi due to my issues yesterday with my spoke breaking, I am trying to put my 10 speed Ultegra cassette onto my 11 speed 105 freehub on my unused winter bike wheel (the 105 freehub wheel).

However, when I try to do this and tighten up the lockring, the Ultegra 10 speed cassette is loose on the 11 speed hub (obvious when I think about it but I thought the 11 speed would be thinner and so the entire cassette the same as the 10 speed). So I need a spacer right guys???? Where does that spacer go, on the inside or on the outside near the lockring please? Can I just use another Shimano spacer from another cassette?

Many thanks!

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    It goes on the inside, and it's not the same as the spacers used between the cogs.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    not sure what the measurement is, mine came with my freehub. but yes it goes on the inside
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Decathlon sell them but not always in stock.
  • MattFalle

Decathlon sell them but not always in stock.

many shops sell them but not always in stock
  • Kaiser Sose
    edited May 2021
    Thanks guys. A mine of info here. I thought it would be a cog spacer, OK, I'll need to order one.
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2021
    tbh, pop down the lbs.

they come with every cassette so they should have a box of them from old cassettes they have taken off.
  • Kaiser Sose
    thanks, my mate may have a few kicking around.
  • MattFalle
    No worries dude - pleasure to help any time.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    MattFalle said:

tbh, pop down the lbs.

they come with every cassette so they should have a box of them from old cassettes they have taken off.

Exactly what I did, they were happy to bung one my way
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I would double check that you don't need two spacers (1mm and 1.85mm) to run a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed freehub. If you look at the description paragraph on the Bike24 link above you will see that they suggest you need two spacers to do what you want.
    You may be lucky and get the 1.85 to work OK but it's possible an extra 1mm one if your existing 10 speed cassette does not already have one.
  • MattFalle
    Just take wheel and cassette down if you want to MAMOAMH
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    arlowood said:

I would double check that you don't need two spacers (1mm and 1.85mm) to run a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed freehub. If you look at the description paragraph on the Bike24 link above you will see that they suggest you need two spacers to do what you want.
    You may be lucky and get the 1.85 to work OK but it's possible an extra 1mm one if your existing 10 speed cassette does not already have one.

This, unless the cassette is a Shimano CS-4600 Tiagra which has the 1mm spacer already built in.